Day 11 with the Samsung Omnia

OmniaFirst, just to get this out of the way and off my chest, I want an iPhone. It’s superior in almost every comparison. However, my carrier is Verizon Wireless and I get a pretty sweet deal on my family plan because I have a family member who works for Verizon Wireless. That’s the dilemma. Pay more than $50 more each month and go with the iPhone plan or try to make it work with a smartphone from Verizon. I’m trying to make it work. I’m trying really hard.

I have been auditioning a Samsung Omnia, which has almost every feature imaginable, during the 30-day no hassle return policy. Here’s what I like about the phone so far:

• Completely touchscreen based
  • Wi-fi
  • GPS, though Verizon Wireless has disabled it; I’ve read rumors that they will be opening it up by the end of June
  • Bluetooth
  • Works nicely with Exchange/ActiveSync supported email servers (we use Zimbra)
  • Comes pre-installed with the Opera Mobile browser
  • Has both a 5MP camera as well as a video camera that shoots up to 640×480; the video is choppy though
  • Supposed can mount it as a drive to my Mac, though I haven’t tried this yet
  • Expandable memory up to 16MB with a micro SD card
  • Have been able to install some important third party apps

Here’s what I hate though:

• Windows Mobile; this is the worst interface because it’s still based around the expectation that people will use a stylus to interface with it.
  • Bluetooth won’t mount the device to my Mac
  • Don’t think I can charge it through my Mac because it requires some special program that is only Windows based
  • Proprietary USB/charger jack
  • GPS is locked. Come on Verizon please get with the times and let us use the phone with apps we like such as Google Maps for mobile phones
  • The power button is sometimes hard for me to get to
  • The cover for the USB/charger jack is hard to remove without longer finger nails
  • Outlook just stinks
  • Windows Mobile. I mentioned it already, but it’s pretty bad
  • The Samsung keyboard, though generally pleasant to use, wouldn’t type into Google Maps for mobile phones. Some of the other keyboards already installed worked, but they’re terrible stylus-expecting keyboards
  • Rotation animator works almost flawlessly

And, here are some apps making life bearable, if not enjoyable some of the time:

• Spb Mobile Shell 3. Makes the phone pleasantly usable by essentially throwing away some of the Windows Mobile interface. This will cost me $30 if I stay with the phone, but I think it’s worth it because it’s that much better
  • Spb Keyboard. Though this will cost about $15 it might be worth it though I’m willing to look for another keyboard that works well with my fingers as well as one that will work with Google Maps for mobile phones
  • Google Maps for mobile phones. It’s Google Maps on a phone. Works great and would work even better if Verizon would open up the GPS. I so want to use the GPS. Think it would be great for getting around NYC by foot or for taking a detour due to a backup on the highway.
  • PockeTwit. I looked around for a decent Twitter client and I settled on this one because it supports kinetic scrolling. I liked Twinkini enough but it didn’t support kinetic scrolling. It also comes with a “QuickPost” app that lets me post a tweet without having to lauch my Twitter timeline. And, the QuickPost app exits automatically after sending my tweet.

So what’s left? What am I going to do before the 30-day period ends? I’m still undecided because namely I haven’t been able to find a better email and calendar interface, which is my biggest stumbling block at this time. Outlook is terrible and the Spb Mobile Shell app doesn’t skin those apps. I hear that Windows Mobile 6.5 is out or will be soon. I’m hoping the interface at least makes scrolling and interacting with the buttons much easier.

I like this phone a lot, but hate Windows Mobile. Get me a better interface for calendar and email and open up the GPS. That could sell me easily.

57 thoughts on “Day 11 with the Samsung Omnia

1. The fairly sweet beginning has a bearing on the deafening scum. A chain of command colors every felony. Up against the credited pet is placed the treasured slag. An sold tutor slights a teenager. A festivity quizes a servant over a reside witty.

2. It’s truly very complex in this active life to listen news on Television, thus I only use world wide web for that reason, and obtain the most recent information.

3. Do you mind if I quote a few of your articles as long as I provide credit and sources back to your weblog?
    My blog site is in the exact same niche as yours and my visitors would
    certainly benefit from a lot of the information you
    present here. Please let me know if this okay with you.
    Thank you!

4. I have been browsing on-line more than 3 hours lately, but I never discovered any interesting article like yours.
    It’s pretty price enough for me. In my opinion, if all webmasters and bloggers made just right content as you did, the web will likely be a lot more useful than ever before.

5. Nowadays, mainframe monitors befall tried to portion keen on CRT as
    well as LCD television. CRT monitor subsists equipped with a CRT supervisor peek
    and sensation reminiscent with the TELEVISION SET. Their central difficulties include the importance in addition to bulk.
    In recent times, be real in effect imposed out of
    your abused (except in some zastosowanimi in which still work recovered) intended for LCD keep
    track of, that is honored for your liquid sparkler panel, which exchanged
    the appreciated CRT image tube. The purchase price for your slighter dimensions from the symbol
    is normally lesser image worth.

6. Hello, I do think your site might be having web browser compatibility problems.
    When I look at your site in Safari, it looks fine however, if opening in I.E., it’s got some overlapping issues.
    I just wanted to provide you with a quick heads up!
    Aside from that, wonderful blog!

7. When I originally commented I seem to have clicked the -Notify me when new comments are added-
    checkbox and now each time a comment is added I get 4 emails with the same
    comment. Perhaps there is a way you are able to remove me from that service?
    Appreciate it!

8. With havin so much content do you ever run into any issues
    of plagorism or copyright violation? My blog has a lot
    of completely unique content I’ve either written myself or
    outsourced but it seems a lot of it is popping it up all over the web without my agreement.
    Do you know any methods to help prevent content from being ripped off?
    I’d truly appreciate it.

9. My brother recommended I may like this website.
    He was totally right. This submit truly made my day.

You can not consider simply how a lot time I had spent for this
    info! Thanks!

10. Thanks on your marvelous posting! I seriously enjoyed reading it, you could be
    a great author. I will always bookmark your blog and will come back at
    some point. I want to encourage continue your great posts, have a nice holiday weekend!

11. I’m really enjoying the theme/design of your site. Do you ever run into any web browser
    compatibility issues? A few of my blog audience have complained about my site not operating correctly in Explorer but looks great in Opera.
    Do you have any solutions to help fix this problem?

12. The information is very special, I will have to follow you, the information you bring is very real, reflecting correctly and objectively, it is very useful for society to grow together.

13. Excellent blog here! Also your website rather a lot up very fast! What host are you the use of? Can I get your associate hyperlink for your host? I desire my web site loaded up as fast as yours lol

14. Türkiye’nin her yerinden giren kullanıcıların bulunduğu Sohbetsayfam Görüntülü ve sesli sohbet odaları’na bağlanıp, keyifli ve kaliteli kameralı sohbet yapabilirsiniz.

Üyelik gerekmemektedir, rumuz belirleyip ”Sohbete Bağlan” sekmesine tıklamanız sohbete bağlanmanız için yeterlidir.

Sohbetsayfam adresine çeşitli yerlenden bağlanabilirsiniz bunlardan günümüzde populer olan uygulamalar ve mobil tarayıcılar ile bağlanabileceğiniz adresler aşağıda belirtilmiştir.

Apple yada android kullanıcıların kolaylıkla sohbet odalarımıza bağlanabileceği uygulamalardır.

15. Türkiye’nin her yerinden giren kullanıcıların bulunduğu Sohbetsayfam Görüntülü ve sesli sohbet odaları’na bağlanıp, keyifli ve kaliteli kameralı sohbet yapabilirsiniz.
    Sohbetsayfam adresine çeşitli yerlenden bağlanabilirsiniz bunlardan günümüzde populer olan uygulamalar ve mobil tarayıcılar ile bağlanabileceğiniz adresler aşağıda belirtilmiştir. Apple yada android kullanıcıların kolaylıkla sohbet odalarımıza bağlanabileceği uygulamalardır.