It’s starting to IMG_0586really feel like summer: the temperature outside had risen over the week, with intermittent storms throughout. On Monday at LaFarm, we seeded melons, beans, and winter squash, weeded and staked the tomatoes. Alexa and I learned how to use a stake driver to push the stakes into the ground, they went in easy because of the rain that morning. On Tuesday at the Urban Farm, we planted silver bell squash and eggplant, mulched the tomatoes and eggplants, built trellis for the cucumbers, weeded asparagus and grapes and staked the tomatoes. On Wednesday at the Urban Farm again, we shoveled a lot! We mulched the tomato and pepper beds and spread mushroom soil on the empty beds in the front of the farm. Back at LaFarm on Thursday, Alexa and I harvested peas and strawberries and planted onions, leeks, cabbage and watermelon. To plant the leeks and onions we used a dippler, which is something I had never seen before. It made making holes for the onion bulbs very easy. On Friday, Alexa and I met with Nancy Walters from the Easton Hunger Coalition to discuss a partnership between them and VIC. IMG_0583

In the afternoons, Alexa and I used our time to do independent research and contact community gardeners, Pam Ruch and Gelmar about helping with the veggie stand. On Thursday afternoon, we had a meeting with Dr. M, Bonnie, Sophia and Alex. We discussed some of the logistics of the distribution nights. We planned to order certified harvesting containers to make harvest days easier. At LaFarm we had already used the containers, so Alexa and I decided that they would be suitable for us at the Urban Farm. Also in this meeting, we discussed no longer using the term “veggie van” to talk about the distribution nights because it might be a source of confusion. Since the operation is more like a farm stand, we decided to change the official name to Vegetable In the Community: your neighborhood vegetable stand. A lot was accomplished at the meeting and I feel that we made progress towards our goals this summer. I look forward to beginning harvest this July!