The rain finally arrived in Easton, quenching the thirst of the parched plants and soil. Though it was a bit cold outside in the rain, conditions were ideal for weeding and mulching at the Urban Farm! We mulched tomatoes, peppers, watermelon and eggplant on Tuesday and Wednesday. On Wednesday we also set up a bean trellis, planted kale, and transplanted a row of swiss chard. Though Monday was cut short at the Urban Farm, we were able to seed trays of corn and kale. We also took a farm walk at LaFarm to identify the necessary tasks for the week. Sarah gave us the information we need to be efficient staff members at LaFarm – information about schedules, tools, keys, locks, equipment, the farm layout, and tasks. On Thursday, I had a full morning at LaFarm (Rachel was off that day). Sarah and I planted zinnias, nasturtiums, sunflowers, and other flowers. We also planted  basil and parsley. I learned how to use a wheel hoe and rake the beds to prepare for planting. I also learned how to weed efficiently in a full bed of onions. It’s tricky, but with the proper tool – the hoop hoe – it is a quicker job.

This week we utilized our afternoons to review surveys from last summer and identify our research goals for this summer. We also responded to emails and set up meetings with Sarah Fried of Dining Services, Nancy Walters of the Easton Hunger Coalition, and our advisors. On Friday I met with Professor Cohen to discuss the role of our surveys and our plans for a published article on this veggie van initiative. Sarah and I also sent out emails to LaFarm community gardeners, letting them know about the VIC program and the opportunity to donate produce. Community gardeners already expressed interest! I am eager to begin working with my fellow LaFarm interns and to meet more community gardeners. One gardener already made my day when left a beautiful carton of strawberries for Sarah and me! It is going to be a wonderful summer.