Heading to the Bacon Festival in downtown Easton this morning, I intentionally past the Bushkill Creek, hoping to relieve pressure from school. The creek indeed looked vigorous, energetically flowing forward to a destiny of its own. This vitality of the stream transferred its energy to me, encouraging me to keep pursuing my personal goal. What is more, I found something different from this.  The flow of water in the creek is flexible – it had different speeds and forms at different places.

Beneath the Bushkill street, the water was rapid; along the Bushkill Drive, the water became so tranquil that it seemed to stop moving at the moment; approaching the dam near the Bushkill Curtain, the water began rushing and made me felt powerful. These different states of water reminded me of a quote from the “Analect of Confucious,” a collection of Confucian ideas in ancient China. “The wise find pleasure in water; the virtuous find pleasure in hills.” Wise men are as flexible as rivers – by the ability to see the nature of things, they could adapt themselves to changing circumstances without adhering sturdily to some fixed standard or rule.