Outsider of The Celebration

As I watched The Celebration (1998), I felt like an outsider looking in. There were shots that almost reminded me of surveillance video. When Helene and her friend were lifting the white sheets off of the furniture in her dead sisters room, the shot was from upper ceiling corner. It just seemed like we weren’t actually there, but rather watching from a far. I started to think maybe the shot was supposed to be from the perspective of the dead sister. It was her room when a lot of these sort of shots were used, so maybe it was because she was looking in on them.

The directors Vow of Chastity says that, “My supreme goal is to force the truth out of my characters and settings. I swear to do so by all means available and at the cost of any good taste and any aesthetic considerations”(690-1). The film was truthful and showed the reality because it followed the ten rules.  However, because of the jump cuts and dramatic change of shots, I was very aware of the camera. I am not sure if that is because I was there to analyze the film, but the sense of reality and truthfulness seemed to slip away because of that awareness.