"eating is an agricultural act" --Wendell Berry, The Pleasures of Eating

Vegucated

“Vegucated” is a documentary where director and vegan Marisa Miller Wolfson gets three “meat and cheese loving” people together to try a vegan diet for six weeks. She picks by interviewing many people, and choose three from different backgrounds who want to do it for the same reasons: to lose weight, to feel better, and to be healthier. Brian, Ellen, and Tesla meet up with Marisa and they begin their journey by going to a physician and getting stats on their blood pressure, cholesterol, and weight. Over the six weeks, they learn to make new kinds of food, shop smarter, and learn the ethical reasons behind going vegan. One of the most moving parts for me was when the four went to a farm/slaughterhouse and walked around the perimeter to find a dead, rotting pig. The image was shocking and humbling, reminding me and other viewers that each animal has a life and how that’s thrown away since policy does not give rights to food animals. Some parts were a bit preachy and I found it almost cheating that Brian bought a lot of processed meat substitutes, but what was important was the education each of them had gained and that it is truly possible to be a vegan and not suffer health-wise (each of the three lost weight and came back with lower cholesterol and blood pressure) and socially with cooking and going out to eat.

1. Jennifer Oddo

I understand the ethical reasons behind going vegan, as I agree with them, but I would also love to learn more about how it can be done with enough nutrients, vitamins, iron and protein. A few months after I became a vegetarian, I went to the doctor feeling very lethargic, and was told I am now anemic. I don’t know how vegans can keep their nutrients in check while being able to eat so minimally! This film sounds extremely interesting though and I will be sure to watch it to gain some more insight.
    In response to Leslie, that restaurant is a wonderful way to begin that larger push for more accessible, delicious, and affordable vegan food!

2. tintlel

My cousin who is out of college now told me about this documentary but I haven’t gotten a chance to watch it yet so hearing your take on it gives me another reason to watch it. There are becoming more and more restaurants that have vegan options or are simply just vegan restaurants which is awesome because I huge issue used to be that there weren’t available places to go. There is an amazing restaurant I went to in New York called Candle 79, it is strictly vegan with also a gluten free option too. The food was absolutely delicious and actually very aesthetically pleasing. Places like this are making it easier to go vegan.