I know this sounds a bit weird, but required GMO labeling may cause more problems than it would solve. I’ve always felt less passionate about being anti-GMO than being anti-many other things because I honestly do think GMO’s do have their place if in the right hands (which they aren’t, but I’m talking theoretically). Because of my unsure feelings about GMO’s, I was attracted to the headline of this article “4 problems GMO labeling won’t solve.” The four problems are (1) too much technology in food, (2) pesticides, (3) corporate control, and (4) patents. Overall, the article highlights the problem that we can’t just fight with our purchases and we can’t expect corporate agribusiness to not adapt to something as simple as a label. Their adaptations will most likely make our food even more harmful and the article even points to radiation caused mutations that are being used now that GMO’s are getting negative attention. In many cases, the new kinds of methods for mutation are more harmful than genetic modification and will become more prevalent if companies see that having GMO’s in their products will reduce revenue.

What this comes down to is the fact that real solutions are complicated and an overly simple “solution” may exacerbate problems.

http://grist.org/food/here-are-4-problems-that-gmo-labeling-wont-solve/