5 Replies to “Smart Homes (Hoffman)”

1. Hey Nick, this is a great, clear presentation. Your introduction was quick and concise, it reminded me of an abstract preceding a research paper.

I also really enjoyed your use of video throughout the presentation! That scene from the Jetsons set the scene nicely for the rest of your project, and the material on AI provided a nice dichotomy between cultural mindsets on artificial intelligence in the home.

As far as style, your script was tight and nonsuperfluous and it was delivered clearly. I think you definitely leaned harder on the history of the technical than that of the contextual here but your
    presentation was strong and succinct throughout.

Congrats man, we did it.

2. Hi Nick! Awesome job, your slidecast is very easy to follow and understand. Your use of video throughout the presentation is a great way to keep the viewer engaged and was timed well, especially at the beginning, as the Jetsons cartoon gave a sort of overview on the idea of a smart home. I also like how you tell the story of the smart home in three generations, which allows the viewer to really experience the evolution of the smart home and the components/values that embody it.

The point of it being a necessity verses a luxury is also a good contrast to make, and I never thought about what it could mean for the elderly and disabled and the new opportunities it might be able to bring. I also appreciate that you brought up security issues, as my topic was internet security, and smart homes/IOT were very prevalent concerns in my research.

It might have been cool to talk a bit more about the technology that enables us to pull all the different components you touch upon together, and what really makes it a smart “home”, but I think the approach you took is really great as well and does a comprehensive job of covering the subject. Nice job!

3. Nice opening using a clip from the Jetsons to set the stage for Smart Homes as the Jetsons are the imaginative pinnacle of smart home automation.

I like how you compared the AI Sophia to the robot butler that was depicted in the 1940s commercial. You talked about both the technological differences as well as the difference in uses but mostly focused how these two exemplify how mindsets change over time. How back then smart home automation was seen as a way to ease the workload of the housewife while Sophia is viewed more as of a companion. I like how you focused more on the human implication on technology.

You also touch on the need vs. want aspect of this product. How from a historical context viewpoint as opposed to a technological one it doesn’t seem like progress or something that would be practical. Smart homes seem like they would just make someone lazy as shown on the Jetsons. However, circumstances such as homes for the elderly are an exception. The ability for constant maintenance of one’s health and connectivity would allow someone with physical disabilities to better take care of themselves and manage their home. You maintained a good balance between talking about both the negatives and the positives of the smart home.

Overall good use of images as well, I like how you made it more interesting by adding video clips.

4. Hey Nick! Overall I think you do a really good job here. I liked that you made a point to say exactly what was going to happen in your first slide: it gave a nice roadmap for the rest of the slidecast. You do a really good job of detailing how our perceptions of technology have changed, as well as detailing the physical technological advances in in-home technology in the last 100 years. You also do an excellent job in actively combatting presentism, especially by contrasting the two videos of Sophia and Rollo.

I would’ve liked to hear your thoughts as to why the role of a “household assistant,” for example, has shifted from something like a butler to more of a companion for the family. You do an excellent job with the history of this, but it would’ve been really interesting to know more about what you thought pushed all these technological innovations to occur. That’s fairly tangential, however, and it doesn’t take away from the really good work you’ve done here overall. Great job!

5. Nick, I really enjoyed the video in the beginning. I also liked how you again inserted film later in the project. It really captured the attention of the viewer. You spoke clearly and with purpose, backed up by many facts.

The point you made about the second generation of smart homes which is controlled by artificial intelligence was intriguing to say the least. It is really cool how we are obviously living in this time with products such as the Amazon Echo. It is also really cool how you incorporated old films to prove the fact that the idea of artificial intelligence is not a new one, rather something that has been imagined for a couple decades now.

I thoroughly enjoyed your project and finding critiques about it was pretty hard. One of the only things I could point out were the long pauses in between slides (as seen around 5:40). However, this was very minor but is something that could be fixed if you were to make more of these in the future.