4 Replies to “3d Printing (McNamara)”

1. WOW! I had no idea that 3D printers had been around for so long. It was very interesting to hear that medical devices were being 3D printed almost 20 years ago. I would have guessed that that has only been happening for a decade or so.

Overall, I found your entire presentation to be fascinating. I liked how you looked at the pros and cons of the technology. It will be very interesting to see what happens when 3D printers become more affordable. Who knows what everyday people will be printing…

The only minor critique I had with the presentation was that the narration was a bit fast. This made it slightly harder to follow, but you made up for it with great organization. Everything flowed very nicely from slide to slide.

2. Nice job, I just thought 3D printers were a fun gimmick to be shown off in Skillman. Kidding, but I think you did a great job organizing a ton of information that many take for granted today. I especially liked how you talked about the online plans for 3D printers and how they could be pirated just like any other online file and the implications this could lead to with things like weapons. It never struck me that this could become a problem with 3D printers.

I also think you did a nice job transitioning from past to present to future. You covered all the bases on this one and gave a pretty detailed overview for each. On the technical side, your voice was a little bit quiet but that could have just been because the mowers were right outside my window. Overall, great job!

3. Hi Kaitlin!

You did a really effective job establishing the origins of 3D printing stemming from the early 80s. I liked the story-telling aspect describing Charles Hull’s journey in how he ultimately was able to patent the 3D printer in 1988.

I also had no idea how massively 3D printers have influenced the medical field since 1999 and how they are continuing to make significant, mind-blowing breakthroughs such as the specific-to-patient casts and other personalized medical care that will be made possible in the future due to 3D printing. The medical implications of this technology alone, though only a small area of its impact, are really fascinating and I appreciated the depth you went into to describe how 3D printing is changing the face of medicine.
    technological glitch

Another awesome point you made was the comparison to Ford’s mass production, however with 3D printing, mass customization is not compromised, it is emphasized and that is what makes it such a powerful technology. I also appreciated you discussing the negative implications, such as printing guns. Overall you gave a very comprehensive and well-rounded overview of where society has been regarding 3D printing and where we can go in the future.

From a technical aspect, I felt you could have slowed down a bit as it was sometimes hard to follow. There were some technological glitches that could have been fixed but that in no way compromised the overall wealth of knowledge you’ve provided.

Really fascinating slidecast Kaitlin, thank you!

4. This was an excellently structured presentation. Initially I was surprised by the speed of your storytelling, but the way in which you told the story about the creation of the 3D printer kept me engaged when switching between each person, with the speed making it more exciting. You then slowed a little bit when talking about the non-technical, which I really liked because in this presentation the details of the context are really important, while the technical plays the role of background. The switch in the 3D printer’s purpose makes a lot of sense because cars are standard but people are not, and so customization of minute aspects of the materials is excellent for the medical field.

The prediction you made at the end about the combination between mass production and customization was really cool and honestly a really good futurist prediction in combination with today’s context. I really like your progression up to it. Rather than just structuring your argument you explained the context and the technological aspects in a way that set up the prediction.

Overall, this was really interesting and engaging slidecast.