5 Replies to “Mars Rover (Wild)”

1. Well done, I liked the way you began with the space race and then worked back to human fascination with Mars. The way that fascination was driven by the speculation of alien life and how it persisted, even after the planet was deemed barren, as a potential escape plan for earth. You did a good job of covering the different impetuses for mars exploration, but I was a little confused about whether the rover program was more of a continuation of the space program started in the cold war, or was a separate program started to test the viability of Mars as the location of a future colony. I would also have liked to know more about the rovers and probes sent to other planets and how the motives for those programs relates to the mars rover. The program is really broad so it is hard to talk about its breadth and its origins in the time frame. I liked how you ended the slide cast with the most up to date cultural references to Mars to show how it still sparks people’s imagination.

2. I like how you used the Space Race as reasoning/explanation for Mars exploration, that it was the competition to reach the moon before the Soviets that brought about the technology that could be used to explore Mars. As another reason for Mars exploration, independent of moon exploration, was that people were curious about Mars because of Italian astronomer Giovanni Schiaparelli. He had theorized that there was intelligent life on Mars based on what he thought were canals on its surface. I like how you tied these two ideas together, showing how many things had to come together in order to build the fascination and possibility of Mars exploration. I also liked how you discussed the shift from Mars fever, the fascination with their being intelligent life on Mars, to, when the truth about Mars was discovered, the idea of Mars as an escape. Between the threat of a nuclear fallout or ecological destruction due to pollution and global warming, the possibility of Earth is no longer hospitable for Human life seemed more and more likely.

Overall it was very interesting and informative. I like how you showed the different perceptions and reasoning behind the push to explore and colonize Mars and then connected it back to recent day fascinations with Mars exploration and the different factors that played into that. I wish you had given more background on the technologies present in the Mars rover but I really like how you focused on the human aspect.

3. I’ll start by just saying great presentation. Your narration felt personal and was attention-grabbing which made the viewing experience more enjoyable. I am fascinated by space technology and found the entire presentation interesting, but my favorite part was discussing the power sources for the rovers. I was familiar with the use of solar panels, but the use of the radioisotope thermal-electric generator was new information to me.
    Your discussion of social values that influence the development of Mars rovers was one of the definite strengths of this presentation. The fact that many people see Mars as a sort of escape plan to leave the issues on Earth behind is still a very real concept. Often discussions of global nuclear fallout happen in coordination with the migration to and exploration of other planets which was a great point.
    My only recommendation for improvement would be to spend less time talking about the space race as a whole and focus more on the specific technological developments of the Mars rover.

4. Bailey, really great work on your project. I liked how you went back in time to cold war, I believe this is a great time to start for a lot of these projects. The space race and cold war were major motivators for American technological innovation, and getting the Mars Rover on mars, is certainly linked to the technology created during this time. I really enjoyed the photo you used about the Italian astronomer, who believed there were canals and martians on Mars. I had no idea that there was actually a lot of support behind this and that this excitement was called “mars fever”. Next, I really liked how you talked about the cultural changes. Both war and environmental changes have certainly been reasons for more talk about creating a civilization on Mars. The combination that you spoke on of cultural changes, technological advancements, and societal concerns, made it very clear to me why we have been so interested in reasearching and developing space technology. I really do not have any critiques for your project. You hit on everything you needed to, and the project itself was well put together. Fantastic job Bailey

5. Bailey, job well done. I liked how you started in 2012, giving a present view before scaling back and looking at the context that it was built out off. I thought the pace you spoke at was fantastic and the story you were trying to tell was laid out very well. I like how you had the pictures move, it added an extra flair to your project.

I thought it was cool how Italian astronomer Giovanni Schiaparelli thought that there were irrigation canals on Mars and the highly intelligent life forms he thought that lived there were called Martians. This whole concept of “Maritians” created a long lasting cultural phenomenon, and I loved how you shifted from the end to the Martian theory to NASA and the “modern day”.

Your video was really well done and I honestly had a hard time coming up with critiques. The only thing I could say was maybe speak a little more about the technological development that allowed the rover to get to Mars, but I loved how you balanced culture, politics and technological innovation.