2 Replies to “Videophones of the future, 1968 (Giambalvo)”

1. I really enjoyed this slidecast about how past society envisioned video phone technology. In particular, I liked how you demonstrated how those in the past thought video telephony would shape both work life and family life—how they thought it would change everything. I also thought it was interesting how you pointed out the tension between people being enamored with the idea of video telephony…but being less excited about the actual existence of that technology. In particular, video telephony seems to represent a technology that is only useful or successful if everyone has it.

In terms of the technical aspect of the project, I thought you used great images and I really liked how you moved to the contemporary moment. I thought it was particularly interesting how you asked us to question what video telephony really gets us in modern society or how the technology fits into our modern value system. Just as a small note, your voice recording occasionally cut out before you were done speaking, but other than that, the presentation was great.

2. Good job, Nicole! I thought that you outlined a very nice history of the video phone and had a couple examples that really demonstrated the point you were trying to make. I like the Talking of Tomorrow sketch and how you went into the effects the video phone had on their lives, not just the technical aspects. I do think you could have done a little more with the Chaplin clip like you did with this one.

I also think you could have discussed the future implications of video chatting a little bit more. You began to touch on it in the end, however, I think that they do play a larger role in society currently than you mentioned.

Other than that, I think that the pace and path of your slidecast flowed very smoothly. Your pictures were very representative of the points you were trying to make and added a nice backdrop.

3. It is interesting to see a slidecast focused on a technology that had not already been discussed or glanced over in class. This presentation did a great job in relating the development of the telephone itself to videophone sand public views towards the technology. It surprised me how the concept of the videophone was predicted not long after the invention of the telephone was completed, and how people also foresaw the problems which might occur with their usage. I enjoyed the final question regard the videophones real value considering texting and talking on the phone are still our major forms of communication.
    To improve the slidecast in the future, my only recommendation would be to add more outside context and motivations for their futuristic views. You show a lot of great futuristic images and predictions but maybe you could even the balance out between the style of picture. Despite that one suggestion, this presentation is very interesting and well put together.