4 Replies to “Space Travel, 1912 (Bozzi)”

1. Your presentation is very thorough in covering past technological developments that contributed towards the general attitude in society that inspired the space travel postcard. It’s really interesting how flight and other technologies which overcame natural obstacles propelled the imagination all the way to space- which is something I never really connected before. I also think it’s good how you referenced the depiction of space travel in other forms of media, as it provides a nice setting for the general awestruck feeling surrounding space travel.
    It would be interesting to know a little more about the specifics of the postcard itself. You go into the societal values of the time which served as it’s inspiration, but is there a specific model plane that this postcard draws aspects from? And it looks as if the artist used a combination of a carriage and a plane, which could be worthwhile to mention. Obviously traveling to the moon in 8 hours is not feasible today, but there’s room to explore how this postcard reflects any developments that were implemented in the future, and even tie it to any recent innovations.
    Overall, I think you covered the period well and provided insightful information into the context of the postcard.

2. Excellent job George. I thought your transitions between slides were executed very well. Your point about how in the early 1900s there were so many innovations, such as the Model T and the airplane, that the people of the time probably thought the innovations would never stop. After land and air, space was just the next obstacle of nature to overcome. The example you gave with the moon ride cyclorama at the worlds fair was especially interesting. To host 400,000 people is an impressive feat, and it ties in well with the panorama trend in Victorian England that was going on at the same time. All of the media fascination with the moon around 1900 was a great tie in too. It is cool to see how interested society was in space travel just a few decades before it would actually happen. I really don’t have any criticisms, you tied in a number of interesting and relevant examples from the times and packed the slide cast with insightful information. Well done.

3. First, I loved how you revisited your initial image at the end of the slidecast and brought the discussion full circle. That adds another dimension to the presentation and really helps summarize the rest of the points. I also enjoyed the detailed discussion of societal values at the beginning of the 20th century. The graphics and examples (especially the bridge in PA!) were very well chosen and presented your message well. This slidecast was very diverse with discussions about structures, innovations, events such as world fairs, novels, and even silent films.
    When it comes to improvements for this presentation I can only think of some minor details that might enhance your slidecast. Maybe practice a few more times to help minimize any stumbling over words or phrases that are more difficult. One idea I am also taking from seeing other people’s slidecasts is to add in some animations or movement to the images that might make it more engaging. Those are just some things to consider, but still great job.

4. The postcard combined numerous technologies and ideas from the period, leaving you with a lot to cover in a short amount of time. You did a great job of ensuring that your presentation provided a comprehensive overview of the different factors, without it feeling rushed or incomplete.

From a presentist point of view, the image appears to be absurd (wings and propellers don’t work in space). However, your overview of the period including the reference to the Wright Brothers reminded the viewer that flight was a new concept at the time.

The only minor critique I had was that you perhaps spent too much time on the railroad. While it was relevant, I think you could have condensed that portion by a slide or two.