5 Replies to “Moving Walkways (Holland)”

1. First, I love the title “History with Holland,” it is catchy and a very nice touch. I really enjoyed learning more about this topic, I had no idea that moving walkways were around for so long. I think you did a really nice job tracing all the way back to 1870s to help the reader understand the context that made moving walkways necessary. I appreciated the detail you went into in discussing how the implementation of elevated train systems in cities led to overcrowded streets and congestion, therefore creating a need for an invention to facilitate traffic and speed up travel. It gives the reader full background as to what conditions were like at the time and why the concept of moving walkways was significant.

I also liked how you discussed the use of moving walkways in airports, a concept that people are much more familiar with. Again, great job of explaining how the combination of people travelling more and the inconvenience of carrying heavy luggage led to common use of these walkways in the 1950s. You integrated clips very well to give the viewer a better idea of what the environment was like and enabled them to see the invention in practice. Your transition from the 1870s all the way to the 21st century throughout the slidecast gave viewers a great idea of how the invention of moving walkways progressed throughout the years, and how changes in societal and cultural context contributed to its evolution.

On the technical side of things, the audio was very clear and you used sound effects and clips very well. There were one or two images that were a tad blurry, but overall your choice and presentation of the images were on point. This was a solid slidecast and I enjoyed watching it!

2. I agree with Nicole’s comment in that I really liked the way you started off the slide by kind of making the presentation seem more professional by adding your own personal touch at the beginning. I also really liked your use of moving slides, because it makes the presentation even easier to watch because people like to watch something instead of just listen. It is also kind of cool alongside your topic of moving walkways. I also really liked the commercial clip you had towards the end, because it really shows how the walkways are marketed in today’s context.

The context for this is really interesting, because initially I thought a main reason why the moving walkways did not take off was that cities would be too crowded, or that it would be a waste of money. It was interesting to note then that its implementation was designed as a possible solution to increased foot traffic, and that people payed 5 cents to use it at the time.

I wonder if the moveable sidewalks inspired the use of the treadmill, which is commonly used, or the escalator. It will really be interesting to see if moveable walkways will ever implemented on the large scale, and as a form of actual public transportation.

Overall a really cool presentation that was very informative about the moving sidewalk idea.

3. First off, your presentation was definitely one of the more professional I have watched. Your addition of effects, transitions, and video clips really made your slidecast look that much more professional and pleasant to watch. The only discrepancy I noticed was that your voice audio was significantly quieter than the video clip so it was slightly jarring going from one to the other.

Content wise, I had a question about why moving walkways are only really seen in airports. You did not really mention why they are not very popular and what happened to cause them to fall out of favor. You did do a good job discussing how they fit into the airport scene, I would have just liked to hear why they did not spread to other places.

I liked how you really discussed the future of moving walkways. You touched on a lot of different points that I would not have thought of like the energy usage of moving walkways. You then delved into current companies and their efforts to improve moving walkways which I thought was a smooth transition.

I learned a lot about the future of walkways. Who knew so many people were injured by the speed of them? I guess that is why they have so many warnings about when it is ending. The only thing I am left wondering is whether or not the speed of walkways are standardized.

4. I like how you used music in your intro, it added a nice flair. I like how you started with examining the motivations for this idea and eventual invention. That it was because of the issues of overcrowded pedestrian areas due to the implementation of many railways in places people used to be able to walk. It was impressive that you not only looked at the physical motivations of the people living there (overcrowdedness) but also examined the values of that time period. You had some really good visuals and interesting transitions between clips. A more uniform transition between your photos might have made the changing images that much more distracting. I find it interesting that the walkways were implemented as early on as 1893. However its eventual, more permanent implementation in airports made sense as there was a greater need for those walkways in a place that people were tired of lugging around suitcases in.

5. I loved the way you provided the context for the idea of the moving walkway with its connection to technological principles of the time and the concerns of overcrowding. It set the stage well and gave me a good understanding of the reason why the idea of moving walkway was persistent and people kept trying to implement it until it found the proper fit in areas of public transportation where carrying luggage long distances are a hassle. The inclusion of the Jestsons was great since we talked at length in class about how that show represents the quintessence of many American’s view of a technologically advanced future, so the inclusion of the moving walkway in that future is an excellent way to show how prevalent that idea was. The shift of the goal for using the most cutting-edge energy source to the most economical was interesting, but I think it could have been a little more fleshed out. Overall, this was one of the best slide casts I have seen in terms of thought progression and providing relevance to our current society, nicely done.