5 thoughts on “Spacesuits, Daniel Jureller

1. In his presentation about the history and evolution of the space suit, Dan does a fantastic job of detailing and illustrating not only how the space suit progressed throughout time, but also the motivation for the changes and the impact that the alterations had on the astronauts who utilized them. Dan did this by centering his presentation around explaining what exactly a space suit is, how it progressed in technical development, and lastly what ways NASA and other private companies have acclimated in order to meet the demands of continuous missions to outer space. His presentation was easy to understand, even for someone like myself who did not know the first thing about the demands that a space suit is required to fill. I enjoyed how after explaining the technical aspects of a space suit, he continued to explain the historical trajectory and the motivation for the changes between the different models of the space suit. By organizing his presentation in this way, it flowed well and was enjoyable to watch.

2. Daniel,
    Overall, I thought your slidecast was great! I really liked your idea of viewing a spacesuit as a “mini-aircraft.” I had no idea of the differences in temperatures in space, that was a insane fact. And it also drove home your point on how much the spacesuits have to deal with the environment. You also did a good job with the history of the spacesuit… Well, as much history as there is going from the 1930s. I found it really interesting that spacesuits are based off of pressure suits for high altitude flights. I liked how you fit the cultural context of the Cold War into the story of why the US was creating the spacesuits. I also think it was a good idea to go into what the future of spacesuits might hold. And you even managed to reference Buzz Lightyear, a win in my book. I can’t think of anything negative to say, I found your slidecast really interesting and very informative. Great job!

3. I enjoyed how you laid out the structure of the presentation in the beginning. First you covered what space suits are and what they do. Space suits need to protect their wearers in very unique ways. The mini-aircraft analogy was especially helpful in understanding the complexity of them. When describing the first suits, you were able to link them to the past, with the first pressure suits, and the perceived future, with the images of 1950s futurism. This served to put them in a very clear historical context for the viewer. With the arrival of the space race, the suits grew more and more complex. The idea that a bra manufacturer could produce a space suit was especially intriguing for me. Though when you really think about it, it makes a lot of sense. The section covering the man-maneuvering unit called back to the idea that the suits are their own aircraft. Your mention of suits in media was also very interesting in that in both the case of 2001 and Toy Story, the designs provided a fairly accurate prediction of the real suits that would follow them. The presentation was very well connected, and the references to popular culture really helped get the message across.

4. Dan,

Hey Dan, this was really neat! When I think of clothing I usually just think of a one layered T-shirt or something. The spacesuit is truly a system relating it to an aircraft is much more accurate than to a T-shirt. There is so much going on behind the scenes and so many parameters to deal with it is amazing to see the evolution of such a suit. From the early 20th century diving suit type astronaut suit to what they are picturing for nowadays is uncomparable! I think the Buzz Lightyear connection is spot on here as well. Maybe one day that will be the suit of the future! With the movie industry’s portrayals you said that the space industry just tried to imitate the futuristic design in function and looks, this was very interesting. Good class connection with relating the Cold War and NASA to the development of the space suit.
    This presentation was very well done, the audio was spot on with the pictures backing up your points and helping them flow. Even the transitions between pictures with audio were spot on!

5. I like how you started your project with the constraints engineers face when building space suits, it really sets the plot as to where you are heading in your project. While you provide plenty of information in your slides, you should speed down your speech. This makes it very difficult to understand what you are saying. It is interesting to see how we went from an Ironman looking suits to white jumpsuits. I appreciate that you added information about the space race and the impact it had on the space suits as well as the manufacturers of space suits because they play a large part in the development of the space suit as well. The idea of the spacesuit being a “mini-aircraft” helps listeners to further imagine the difficulties in building the suit as well as covering the last few classes of our course and helps us understand under the constraints engineers and develops faced when going through budget cuts. Other than your speed, great work!