5 thoughts on “Batteries, Tom Strand

1. I really liked how you start off by giving a great summary of what batteries are and the differences between primary batteries and secondary batteries then applying them to different devices. Also you make a great link between how they developed the origins of the battery using the class concepts like presentism and how people of the past have first started with “crazy” ways of developing their innovations. I felt like I was a little confused when you were discussing the macroscopic and microscopic levels of battery technology in terms of what it is exactly. Overall, you did a great job with walking us through history progressively and tying in to class concepts like presentism, the patrons, and touching on transistors as well. Very interesting topic and very informative about linking together government, business, and technological development.

2. Tom,
    Overall, I thought your slidecast was really good! I enjoyed how you took something that we had not discussed in class and fit it into other technologies that we had talked about. I also thought you did a good job with the linear history, following the battery from the beginning to where it is today. I did not know about the difference between primary and secondary batteries before, that was a cool point you brought up! I also found it really interesting that there is a difference between macro and micro technology in the case of batteries. If I had one (slightly) negative thing to say about your slidecast, it would be about the pacing. It seemed to me that you were talking a little too fast. Now, part of that is because you had a ton of information to share, which was good, but your speech felt rushed. That wasn’t a huge issue though. Good job!

3. It’s amazing that something as integral in our lives like batteries can have such a big history and so many complexities. But I guess that’s the advanced, technologically driven society we live it. You did a great job of showing the history of batteries, whether that was how they were first discovered scientifically, pretty much just to prove someone wrong, to how they became what they are today. Another example of World War 2 pushing technology forward. Then after that you discussed the future of batteries, and I think anyone with an iPhone or an electric car will know that we need to make advances in batteries before much else can be done. Did a good job of bringing up things we discussed in class too like who were the patrons of the technology, presentism, and kranzberg’s laws. Some things you may want to watch out for though, you used the same photo twice, and went over the time by a little bit. But overall it was good, I liked the cons you brought up and how and why batteries are so important to our lives.

4. Tom,

Nice job. I never really thought about the history of batteries, so it was nice to learn about how they have evolved from societal forces and in turn, helped to shape society. I liked how you started off with a definition of the different kinds of batteries and quickly made the point that batteries are the work force of the portable electronics boom. Without batteries, our portable electronics cannot be portable. I did not realize that batteries, although not used until around the 1800s, may date back to two thousand years ago. I thought you did a good job of connecting the government patronage of batteries to the government patronage of transistors, semiconductors, and computers we spoke about in class. It was great how you used batteries to demonstrate the idea that technology is the mother of necessity. Because batteries are hard to produce and clean up, we need to work on a solution to fix these problems. I enjoyed learning about the history of the battery, well done.

5. Tom,
    This is a commonly overlooked topic, but one that might be the most relevant to our everyday lives. Like seriously, who doesn’t go through their day without having to charge their phone, laptop, or other mobile device? I really liked in the beginning how you jumped into talking about the device in general. How it is used to convert chemical energy into electrical energy, the difference between rechargeable and non-rechargeable, and the common question of mobility and portability. This concept of the battery was then shown how it is used today. I liked how you explained the modern view and then jumped back 2000 and 200 years to talk about the Parthians and the Voltaic pile, receptively. These were two eras that I did not even know exited and from what you said, seem like they were crucial to the start of battery development, at least the Voltaic Pile was. Another point that I really liked was the idea that Volt and Humphrey did not know what they were making this technology for, so this kind of sparked the era of making technology to make other technologies. Lastly, you go on to discuss the last 100 years of battery development, but they key was the change in patrons that you mentioned with Mallory. The idea that this was originally all independent, then the Government got involved, then after the Cold war, it seems to shift to a balance between these two entities. Overall this was a really intriguing presentation, there were only one or two places where you stuttered, but the content was excellent. Nice job!
    —Josh