5 thoughts on “Solar Power, JT Himelrick

1. JT,

You did a good job speaking clearly and providing plenty of context for the casual listener who is not that knowledgeable about solar energy as a renewable energy source in the future. Your description of the direct correlation between human health and the environmental standards of the day serving as a catalyst for greener sources of energy was a great connection. Definitely exemplifies Kranzberg’s 2nd law that invention is the mother of necessity. I also appreciate the fact that you address concessions in your presentation. Far too often, people fail to address the arguments against whatever they are trying to defend, which can actually hinder and limit their legitimacy. You did a great job of explaining contemporary concerns with solar energy such as the relatively high cost and the problem of storing such energy for an extended period of time. Who knew that the search for solar energy actually began in the 17th century or that solar panels created by Bell Labs in the mid-50s were used on NASA’s first satellite? Pretty cool facts! In short, this is a really thorough and well-though out presentation.

2. In his final presentation, JT does a great job of explaining the origins of solar power, specifically why it came about and the patrons who funded the projects. Through watching JT’s presentation, I learned many facts regarding the beginnings of solar power such as how the motivation to derive a power source that did not pollute the atmosphere was product of extreme smog levels in urban populations. He designed his presentation in a way that anyone could understand, providing background information and recent environmental events that contributed to the rise in research regarding solar power. Moreover, I enjoyed JT’s description of the history of the development other power sources, enabling the viewer to understand solar power’s place in a larger historical context of energy consumption. Rather than focusing solely on the development and inspiration of solar power, JT also discussed the limitations that solar power faced in the past and future. By doing this, JT gave the viewer a full description of solar power in the context of society, without leaving out important points that hindered the development of solar power.

3. I appreciated the way you delivered your dialogue and how it interacted with the visual aspects of the slide cast. You began with defining the motivations behind solar energy and the reasons we need to change the way we do things. Then, you moved on to our options to replace fossil fuels and how each one comes with challenges. Solar energy is getting cheaper and more efficient, but it still has a way to go before being as efficient and powerful as the burning of fossil fuels. I enjoyed how this section gave the viewer a concise cause and effect scenario. Next you covered the solar experiments of the past, something that I realized I did not know much at all about. This was coupled with the actual science behind solar panels and how they convert light energy into electricity. The stories of the 18th Century solar cooker and the development of solar panels at Bell Labs as well as the science behind solar panels provided a strong foundation for the slide cast. I was impressed when you conceded that the initial financial burden of installing solar panels and the modern day inefficiencies of storing energy sometimes dissuade people from pulling the trigger. Despite this, the slides covering tax cuts and solar vehicles brought the slide cast back to a more positive tone. Lastly the reference to the early 1990s Silicon Valley culture was very insightful. All in all I enjoyed the presentation.

4. I would have never thought that there was early research to reuse solar power, I genuinely thought that solar power was a recent phenomenon. It was nice to see that you explain how solar panels work and the science behind, this makes it easier for those with not much knowledge about solar technologies to finally fully understand it. It is neat to see that solar power is being pushed further in commercial use, I think it would further add to your project your thoughts about the future of solar power or renewable energy. I appreciate that you included the downside of these technologies because although these are great innovations we seem to forget the cost behind it. You deliver an interesting narrative and give other examples of renewable energy that have failed in the past, this acknowledgement to failed technologies gives listeners a glimpse that not all technologies are built to last. Overall, very insightful project!

5. JT,

Great job with this solar power slidecast. I am large proponent of it and it is cool to see how solar power has developed over time and where it can possibly go. I think your layout of starting with the problem of current fuels and then leading to solar power and renewable energy sources was effective in showing that the world is in need of a new (better) energy source. It was interesting to hear there are solar cars! I never knew they are actually becoming a thing in today’s society. After doing my research on batteries it seems that in the next ten years we will have the battery power to make solar panels very effective. I like the class relation with the technology and the system being the thing affecting society.
    Your audio was spot on, as well as your visuals. I liked how it you did not try to speak into transitions making each audio blurb per visual more effective. Over all, I really enjoyed the presentation.