3 thoughts on “Flying Cars of the Future, R. Lanzilotti

1. Wow dude. That was really good. You did a great job creating a narrative that went over the slides. It didn’t feel like I was getting 20 stories about 20 images, but instead 1 story across all the images. The great thing about the narrative was the progression. I liked how it flowed from the history of flying cars, then moving into present, and even looking into what the future might hold. Speaking of the history, I had no idea how far back the history of flying cars went, that was fascinating. Also, great observation about gender roles and the man always driving the car. Something that makes sense once you said it, but definitely something I did not see before. You also did a great job incorporating things we have discussed in class into your slidecast. Finally, I really liked your closing statement, bringing up the possible social consequences/issues that would arise from a world with widely-available flying cars.

2. Awesome start, Ricky! I really liked the intro when you pose the questions about how to regulate flying cars- it really addresses a lot of the questions I had about flying cars. I like the progression from the early models of the flying car and the transition to the Jetson and connecting back to class ideas about this representation of flying cars in a more utopian society. You make and interesting connection to the gender roles, I didn’t know that the one episode Jane drives the car she gets pulled over by a space cop! Very interesting. I also enjoyed how to pulled in together early concepts from the airplane and the helicopter and how that fit in with future views of flying cars. In a sense, I felt like I was getting an informative presentation on the history and futuristic ideas of more than just flying cars- but personal air travel in general. I also thought it was interesting drawing to our modern day view of flying cars – and particularly Harry Potter influencing a child’s view on this.

3. Ricky lanzilotsofbiceps, great slidecast, you kept a good pace throughout the presentation, which is tough to do, and also did a great job of mixing what we discussed in class to your slidecast. I thought the question mark slide was a little unneccasary as there were other slides you could have put in there to add some more substance. The gender role part of the slides were well done too along with the presentism and reminding us that social context is important when discussing future technologies. I wasn’t sure if that 3 photos in the one slide was cheating but I like the idea and think it helps to give a couple good examples. I like the meme slide as well, its different but still gets the point across. Your use of real life examples, both old and new were good too as you showed physical models of what our depictions of flying cars looked like. I did the same sort of topic and took a little broader view on it but yours was specific and full of detail.