Mock Draft 1.0 (Picks 11-20)

Nuggets logo11. Denver Nuggets (from New York): Gary Harris, SG, Michigan State

The Nuggets are in a tough position because they’d like to secure another primary ball-handler to back-up/share duties with starting point guard, Ty Lawson, but Ennis and Smart are off the board. Problematically, the next available point guard-type players are not really true point guards and are actually quite similar to players they already have on their roster. With an already crowded front court, no specific roster needs and a plethora of younger players signed fairly long-term, I think they take the best non-forward/center player available, which would be shooting guard Gary Harris. Harris would give them further depth at guard and bring athleticism and a defensive boost to their roster. I could see the Nuggets either trading this pick or packaging some of their younger guys for a better asset and consequentially, more playing opportunity for the guys they keep.

Magic logo12. Orlando Magic (from Denver): Dario Saric, PF, Croatia

Since the Magic took a big guard with their first pick, grabbing another one here would be redundant. If Saric stays in the draft, I think the Magic take him. He’s the top international prospect and could end up being one of the most talented players in the draft. Drafting him here limits the risks that he won’t come to the NBA right away (the Magic aren’t competing next year anyways) and gives them a different type of player that they don’t already have on the roster. On the other hand, the last time the Magic used a high pick on an international player, he never came to the NBA (Fran Vasquez, 11th overall, 2005). Ultimately though, I don’t think that would stop them from taking Saric with this pick; he’s a tough talent to pass on if you think he’ll definitely come over.

T-wolves logo13. Minnesota Timberwolves: Nik Stauskas, G, Michigan

With lots of uncertainty surrounding the Kevin Love situation (will they finally trade him this offseason?) and point guard Ricky Rubio’s limited offensive game, the Wolves could use another guard that can shoot and help share some of the ball-handling duties. Stauskas is not a pure point guard, but his decent handles and excellent shooting ability should allow him the opportunity to find a valuable role on this team and in the league for a number of years.

Suns logo14. Phoenix Suns: P.J. Hairston, SG, North Carolina/NBA D-League

Before the season, the Suns constructed a roster to fail and made all sorts of moves dumping players and eventually accumulating four first round picks in this year’s draft (including their own). After their stellar 48-win season where they likely would have not only made the playoffs, but probably been a 3rd seed if they played in the East, it’s tough to tell how committed management will be to some of the players currently on the roster. I don’t think the Suns will end up adding 4 first round picks to their roster next season either through trades or drafting international players not yet ready to come to the NBA. However, if they end up keeping this pick, I think they go with a shooting guard like James Young or P.J. Hairston. I give Hairston the edge here because I think he fits better in the Suns scheme. He’s a excellent shooter with deep range and a big, physical guard that could play a different role than Most Improved Player of the Year award finalist, Gerald Green, a streaky, athletic, 6-8 shooting guard. If they go in a different direction, I could see them taking a shot on Swiss big man, Clint Capela.

Hawks logo15. Atlanta Hawks: James Young, SG, Kentucky

The Hawks could use another shooting guard to pair with point guard Jeff Teague and James Young would definitely fit that bill. He has an NBA body, deep shooting range and could be a solid scorer in the league for many years. He also just looks and seems like a guy the Hawks would draft.

Bulls logo16. Chicago Bulls (from Charlotte): Adreian Payne, PF, Michigan State

The Bulls desperately need scoring, especially with Carlos Boozer seemingly on his way out. His albatross of a contract and inability to even get on the court in the 4th quarter because of the huge defensive liability he creates will make him a prime amnesty candidate this summer, especially since the organization would like to make a run at Carmelo. Assuming Derrick Rose comes back healthy, the Bulls will still need somebody to fill the scoring void left by Boozer. Adreian Payne would be a great fit on this team because he’s a veteran college player who understands team basketball and winning. His ability to make threes will stretch the floor and open up the interior for Chicago. That last part is most important for the Bulls since Derrick Rose and Joakim Noah need space to drive and play in the post on offense. He should be able to come in right away and fit in for a cheap price, which is important for the Bulls since they are so luxury tax averse. If he’s still here (I could see him going higher when teams realize how much of a polished player he is already), I think he will be the Bulls first realistic option.

Celtics logo17. Boston Celtics (from Brooklyn): Rodney Hood, SG, Duke

After addressing the point guard issue at 5th with Marcus Smart, I think the Celtics take a shooting guard here since they are already pretty set in the way of front court players. They especially might need another guard if they decide to let Avery Bradley walk and end up trading Rondo. Rodney Hood, although he can be a bit one-dimensional at times by only focusing in offense, is a great shooting and would pair nicely with Marcus Smart. Other options for the Celtics are Clint Capela or passing on Smart at 5 and waiting on Elfrid Payton, the point guard who’s been a little under-the-radar from Louisiana-Lafayette.

Suns logo18. Phoenix Suns (from Washington): Clint Capela, PF, Switzerland

The Suns acquired this pick in the pre-season Marcin Gortat trade. Like I said above, the Suns are interested in the Swiss big man, Clint Capela. I think they would debate taking him at 14, so if he slips down to 18 I think they would definitely take him. Capela, a long, athletic big who’s a good rebounder and a good transition player would fit in really well in coach Jeff Hornacek’s system that loves to run.

1Bulls logo9. Chicago Bulls: Jusuf Nurkic, C, Turkey

Since the Bulls lost Omer Asik, they’ve been lacking the big rim protector off the bench. The 6-11, 280 pound Nurkic would help bring that back. Although he’s not particularly athletic, he does have some post skills and could be a solid fit coming off the bench for Joakim Noah and at times, playing alongside him. If they decide Nurkic isn’t there guy, I could also see them taking a flyer on Elfrid Payton. Derrick Rose’s knees are anything but certain and taking a real point guard in the draft would finally give them an acceptable backup plan if he gets hurt again. The whole signing undersized scoring guards (D.J. Augustine, Nate Robinson) for one season and turning them into quasi-efficient point guards every time Rose gets hurt isn’t a smart long term strategy and it might be time for them to start planning long-term for the worst.

Raptors logo20. Toronto Raptors: Jerami Grant, SF, Syracuse

The Raptors are another team in a tough position because they just came off a wildly successful season by Raptors standards and was actually a huge surprise after they traded former star swingman, Rudy Gay for about 25 cents on the dollar. I think they go with a small forward here since they’re both the best players available on the board and are the biggest team need since they are pretty set at shooting guard (with DeMar DeRozan and Terrence Ross), point guard (assuming they resign Kyle Lowry), and power forward. Whoever wins between K.J. McDaniels and Jerami Grant at workouts is the player I think they go with. Both are athletic, strong rebounding small forwards with very limited offensive games and lots of potential. I’m going to go with Grant here because he’s a little taller and I think would fit nicely as a change of pace, energy guy off the bench in Coach Dwane Casey’s system.