Why I’m interested in the draft

As a lifelong 76ers fan, my reasons for starting a blog on this subject are fairly obvious – the Sixers are tanking this season (2013-2014) with the intention of getting a high draft pick.  I’ve always had a strong interest in the NBA Draft and young basketball talent dating back to my middle school days.  This picture of the 2007 draft class was literally my computer background for 2 years.

(NBA)

(NBA)

Every year I would huddle around a tiny, remote-less TV in my grandmother’s guest room just to watch since the only other TV in the house was usually occupied by other relatives and the timing of the draft (4th Thurs. in June) almost always corresponded with my family visits to my grandmother’s house in Ohio.  I would stay up watching the entire event (even the lackluster second round) just so I could see whether my favorite Syracuse and Big East players like Gerry McNamara and Demetris Nichols got picked, even though deep down I knew they probably wouldn’t and even if they did become a late second round selection, their NBA chances were slim.  I would also watch to root for my ultra-conservative 76ers, who most years engaged in the most predictable draft behavior and never improved the team enough to escape NBA purgatory (where a team is not good enough to win anything significant, but not bad enough to get a high first round pick to rebuild around a star).  Fortunately, last year it all changed. The new ownership brought in an analytics-minded general manager who was very unafraid of making a splash.  We traded our best player to the new-name New Orleans Pelicans for two draft picks (one from last year’s draft which ended up being Nerlens Noel and this year’s pick, although it’s top-5 protected) and solidified the direction our team would be heading for the next couple years.  As a Sixers and NBA fan, I could not be more excited about the draft and next season.  For me, it’s always been my favorite sporting event of the year and now that my favorite team is actually willing to engage in more aggressive behavior, I couldn’t be more enthusiastic.

I always felt the excitement surrounding the draft was unparalleled for a number of reasons –

1. It’s the convergence of professional, collegiate, international and formerly high school basketball.  In order to be fluent in draft happenings and developments, one must be familiar with all levels of basketball.

2. The impact a rookie can have in the NBA is unlike any other sport.  Since teams consist of a maximum 15 players, rookies and high picks especially receive a lot immediate playing time.  Additionally, the nature of basketball is such that the difference in physicality and know-how from lower levels of basketball to the pros is not as large as other sports.  Guys who are young and can ball will get playing time.  They may not be able to compete well consistently like a veteran, or contribute as significantly on a playoff roster, but they’ll get plenty of opportunities.  Watching and rooting for young players to develop and play well has always been a hobby of mine partially because I’ve always been younger than most professionals, but also because young guys bring different attitudes, styles and charisma to the game and ultimately it becomes their league.  It’s fun to see all that develop.

3.  Draft night can change the landscape of the league.  Talented draft classes and the flurry of trades that usually occur set the stage for impending free agency (which begins about one week after the draft) and the coming season.  In a league where rosters are small and there are a limited number of true stars, a blockbuster trade or pick can completely change the fortune of a franchise.  The anticipation and excitement of watching this all unfold in a four hour live event is difficult to top in any of the four major sports.

The purpose of this blog will be to examine all aspects of the upcoming 2014 NBA draft.  I will cover mock drafts, trades, team behavior, draft history, the NCAA tournament and anything and everything related to the June 26th event.  Fortunately, because the Sixers have become one of the most aggressive and ambitious organizations in the league, there is no longer a need to pretend they are a major player in the draft and need to be talked about; they are at the center of it.  After several (relatively) weak drafts, the 2014 draft class is shaping up to be one of the best in recent memory with multiple players with All Star potential at the top.  It has the potential to rival some of the all time great drafts, such as 1984, 1996 and 2003.  With a host of great times competing for the NBA championship, coupled with the influx of special talent arriving from the draft, it is truly an exciting time for basketball.