"eating is an agricultural act" --Wendell Berry, The Pleasures of Eating

Testimonial: Vegan for one Month

The author of this article, Edward Batha, was an overweight man with high cholesterol levels. In order to try and lose weight and gain control over his health, Batha decided to go vegan for a month to see how such a diet would affect his health. Batha’s experience was quite interesting as he was forced to investigate every single ingredient of all of the foods he consumed. Through reading this article, I began to realize how many animal products are hidden in foods that we do not even realize. For example, Batha states that most beers contains a fining agent that usually is made of fish bladder (EW?).

Check out Batha’s story and read about all of the shocking foods that are made with animal products!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-471918/Could-lentils-save-life-Meet-man-vegan-month.html

1. tintlel

I think this is awesome because more vegan options of food products as well as restaurants and places to eat are becoming more common; making it easier to change your lifestyle. I’ve had to cut out certain foods because of my growing list of food allergies and it is extremely difficult at first not to eat pizza, or certain other foods anymore but after a while the way your body starts to feel makes it all worth it. Before you know it you don’t even miss those foods anymore.

2. Shawn Hogan

In my opinion, the most healthful and least confusing diet out there is veganism. Although you have to read a lot more labels and be more strict about which restaurants you choose, it’s straightforward and easy to follow if you do your own cooking. The difficult part, as Batha explains, is no longer having the same feeling of satisfaction after eating a piece of pizza or a pastry of some sort. However, if you can push past this, the health effects are unparalleled by many other diets. The fact that Batha decreased his cholesterol by as much as he did with only one month of veganism is remarkable. I think spurts of veganism should be more of a societal norm for those with access to enough vegan food.