Obviously I’m not the first one to say this, but as I learn more and more about our food I’ve been wondering to myself “why do I eat meat anyway?” So at this point, I’m looking into becoming closer to a vegetarian (probably will end up flexitarian, so that I don’t have to cut out everything permenantly). Before I do this, I decided to look up some tips. What I’ve come across is this-
-Going without meat means you have to look out to make sure you’re getting certain nutrients such as calcium, vitamin D, iron, and omega-3 fatty acids, not just protein.
-It’s not just meat that’s not vegetarian- certain thickeners and flavoring contain animal products, such as gelatin.
-It only takes a few weeks to eliminate meat cravings!
The last fact is pretty exciting, since I’ve spent my whole life living off meat. I’m hypoglycemic, which means my blood sugar gets low very quickly, so I was raised on the ideal of eating a lot of meat. If I can balance my blood sugar and help the environment/my morals by not eating meat, or at least less, that would be a huge change but mostly for the better!