"eating is an agricultural act" --Wendell Berry, The Pleasures of Eating

“It seems to me that we can either pay the farmer, or we can pay the hospital.”

Everyone must watch this TED talk! A little 11 year old boys explains and comments on all of the detailed aspects of the current agricultural world that we have been discussing thus far. It is incredible to hear someone so young speak about such an important topic. This boy is extremely bright for his young age and truly provides a beacon of hope for future generations!

As an important side note, this video truly got me thinking about how human beings can initiate change in the world. In my personal opinion, the most powerful mechanism for change is through education–specifically in the younger generations of children. If students begin to learn about issues in the agricultural world from a young age, many principals and opinions will be ingrained with these young children as they age. The children of today are the politicians, scientists, farmers, USDA/ FDA/EPA/corporation workers of the future. Therefore, one of the main movements regarding the issues with the modern-day agribusiness should be education and awareness, as comprehension and understanding are necessary to initiate change.

TED TALK: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvVZwJbs54c

1. Art Attackk

In my personal opinion, the most powerful mechanism for change is through education–specifically in the younger generations of children. Nice Article.!!

2. Shawn Hogan

First of all, this is too adorable for words. This kid has a fantastic summary of the message that I and many others who are passionate about changing our food system are trying to convey to the public. However, I had not really thought about the potential of channeling efforts towards children. I audibly laughed when he talked about telling his younger cousin not to eat the sparkly cereal, but a switch also flicked in my head. Children are so easily influenced by commercials, billboards, and whatever has enough colors to grab their attention. If the local/organic food movement began targeting younger kids more regularly, an entire market of sugary, corn-crafted, crap-food could be eliminated and the need for industrial farms would diminish. I also really liked when Birke pointed out that you’re either paying the farmer or the hospital. I think the connection between our agriculture system and health issues is not blatantly obvious to enough people and they chose non-organic over organic strictly because of the price tag. However, Birke’s point is that you can avoid physical issues as well as the monetary costs associated with them if you eat foods without the chemicals that many conventional foods have.