Remind me what to do again

For the past few weeks I have been unplugging all of my electronics from the outlet to cut down on energy usage. When I first started this I struggled mightily with remembering to unplug everything, it even made me late to class once because I had to go back to my room and unplug my computer and phone chargers. So after the end of the first week I put a reminder on my phone telling me to unplug my electronics before I left for class. I can’t even begin to describe how helpful that has been in getting me into the habit of unplugging everything. Now I hardly even need the reminder on a day-to-day basis. It has simply become part of my routine. Wakeup, shower, get dressed, make sure everything is unplugged, go to class.

Having this behavior change has actually cut down on my phone and computer usage as well. Because they aren’t both always plugged in to the outlet so I try and use them less to conserve the battery more. So this behavior change has reduced my electricity usage in ways that I had never intended. I also think I will continue to do this sustainable behavior indefinitely after the challenge is over because it is just so simple to do and is just such and easy way for my to reduce my energy consumption. There is really no good reason for me to stop doing this behavior there are so many more advantages than the opportunity cost of habitually taking 30 seconds out of my day to unplug my appliances from the outlet quite literally right next to my desk. I enjoy doing things that are good for the environment no matter how small they are and that perfectly describes my sustainable behavior, therefor I see no reason to stop.