It’s like remembering you forgot a towel….

First  week in of actual challenge and my skin has never felt this malnourished.  When I initially started this challenge I thought to myself,  “my …how easy it is not to do it”. Little did I know that every time I would shower I would have this lingering thought that I needed to hurry up. I realized that I would unconsciously look at my waterproof watch continuously as I showered. To be completely honest this challenge has not been to bad for me. I’ve been able to average between 6-7 minute showers this past week and for a person whose showers were a minimum of 10 minutes, I think that’s some improvement. I’ve actually been able to benefit from this new challenge.

In my previous post I briefly touched on the topic of Lafayette College’s water use in terms of the amount of students and the lengths of their individual showers. Living on campus one of the most inconvenient things about shared dorms are the shared floor bathrooms. I live on a floor with about twelve other girls and the fascinating thing is that we only have to showers to share amongst each other. Now I know that two showers for twelve girls is a decent number but I cannot explain my somewhat furry when I walk down the hall to the bathroom to find both showers occupied. Maybe it just because of convenience but this, especially when we are showering before class poses a problem. Not only do I not know how long they will take but, is it not good dorm ethic to go to another floor and shower there instead? (I don’t know, but I’ve sure done it).Waiting In Line to For an Available Shower is Not so Pleasant

As I started this challenge I realized that my change in behavior might actually be beneficial to my immediate surroundings. Girls on my floor who share the same worries of having to wait for my shower to be come available need to fear not  because on a good day it’ll only be approximately a six minute wait!  This week like my previous weeks have been very hectic so the need to shower has just been for sanitary reasons and not for stress relief as it previously has been.

Similarly, as I researched for similar site and information, Oberlin College has taken a similar stand to the situation by proposing shower timers for their dorms.

Here’s the link!

(http://ocsites.oberlin.edu/edgefund/projects/ideas/shower-timers-for-dorms)