So Far, So Good

This past week, my drive to cut down on my food waste has been a top priority. I plan to keep it this way for the full 5.5 weeks. However, this is not a one-week assignment. It is going to require sacrifice, and the hardest part about changing a behavior is the constant struggle to stick with it until you become used to it. For someone who isn’t used to watching how much food they put on their plate, like myself, it is going to be hard to stay focused during a time when I just want to relax, and eat with friends for the full length of this assignment.

To stay focused through these 5.5 weeks, I have to keep myself motivated. The bottom line is, the overall affects of cutting down on food waste would significantly improve the condition of our planet, and help us to live a worry free lifestyle. A life where we would not have to worry about (for example) another major extinction or the polar caps melting causing seas to rise. The positive effects of cutting down on food waste have become a motivating factor for me. The article below helped me to realize the major affects food waste has on our environment. It has helped provide me with extra motivation to prevent food waste.

Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 8.53.28 PMThis picture helps to illustrate how oblivious our society can be to the issue of food waste.

Looking back on this week, the hardest thing about changing my behavior was determining the right amount of food to put on my plate. Some meals I was hungrier than others, so I had to gage what would be a good starting amount to put on my plate. To be honest, it was hard to come up with a problem my behavior has presented to me so far. The most positive thing from this past week I thought was just realizing the fact that I am making a difference slowly, but surely, to better the world. Hopefully by the end of these 5.5 weeks I’ll be able to say I was able to stick with my behavior change and help others to change their behaviors as well.

This change of behavior is helping me to think more on a global scale, not just about my community and the people I associate with myself everyday. When accepting a behavior change such as mine, thinking on a global scale is critical to understand what it is going to take to turn this problem of food waste around.

Website:

http://www.fao.org/news/story/en/item/196220/icode/