This time I will

As the task I was assigned to, I was trying to observe myself doing my bad habit. Actually, before we were told that we have this second step on sustainable behavior change, I was already trying to change my habit.

But I could not do that because before, I did not have a cup to use when brushing teeth. Then, when I finally got a cup, I always forget to bring it at the bathroom.This is because I am always in a hurry , especially in the morning. And then, I always say to myself that it’s fine for now and I won’t forget to bring it next time, but I never did it. Then, when thinking about the money that is spent, I often say to myself that I let run just a little amount of water so it won’t spend much money,. But in fact, it does spend a lot of money as the amount of money that is spend everyday is accumulated.                                                                                                                            I have never thought that changing that tiny habit of mine would not be easy.

So, controlling my water use is also controlling my life because it is upon my own effort that I can or cannot change my habit.

As for instance, a workshop  was performed in Devon , UK , and it was about consumption and the environment. The data showed that less than forty percent of the people don’t turn off the tap while brushing teeth.                                                                                                                    There are many factors that influenced this behavior. There is the educational cause: people that are educated are more conscious of the impact on the environment. If I was not educated, I think I wouldn’t have known that using more water than I should will have a great impact on the environment. There is also the influence of income, the price and economic incentives related to the fact that individuals believe that price is or is not a significant variable in reducing water consumption. As for me, I realize that using much water leads to spending more money, however, it’s like I don’t really become conscious of the importance of money because I don’t have to pay the bill every month.

Some of the barriers of changing the behavior are also the fact that it requires little personal sacrifice. There is no penalty for using a lot of water, so, it’s just upon every person’s consciousness that will change their behavior.There is also the issue of personal hygiene as the water is the main tool for cleanliness.

Nonetheless, our next task is to say goodbye to our bad behavior, and this time, I promise myself that I will stop my bad habit during the next 5 and a half week and even for all the time after that.

figure1

( Gilg & Barr, 2006, 401)

Work cited:

Gilg, A., & Barr, S. (2006). Behavioural attitudes towards water saving? Evidence from a study of environmental actions. Ecological Economics, 57, 400-414, Retrieved from http://www.elsevier.com