Are Shorter Showers Even Possible For Me?

Going into this challenge, my first thought was that this would be easy. A shower can’t be that hard to shorten right? Well, after just observing and actually paying attention to how long I spend in the shower and relax, I now realize this challenge is going to be much harder than I thought. On the first day of observation, I woke up a lot more tired than I usually am because I didn’t get much sleep due to studying for an exam. How did I compensate for this? I took a long, warm shower to try to wake up and relax to deal with the stress I was dealing with. If it wasn’t bad enough that I was wasting large amounts of water, I need to think about the energy loss through heat. I had the water almost all the way up, so I need to add in this loss of energy when I think about my total effect on the environment as a result of my long showers.

Then I got thinking about if I really can’t go without taking long showers and if there are any alternatives to this. For a while, I couldn’t think of anything that would allow me to still take my long warm showers without the same negative effect on the environment. Then, I read an article called  “19 ways to Greener Water Habits” by Tom Chasm. One of these habits really caught my eye. One of these ways was using a bucket to collect runoff water that is going to go in the drain. With this water, it could be used to water plants. While I think this might be a helpful thing to do, when I’m tired I’m not sure if I will have the will to go to the store to buy a bucket,  actually use it, and then water plants. Not that this isn’t a bad idea, I just don’t know if it’s realistic for me. 720124722_152d30b6b0_o

In the next week, I’ll have to do my best to think of alternatives and shorten the amount of time I’m in the shower.