Resources Down the Drain

shower rose-1After a long, stressful day full of different activities, a shower can be an extremely relaxing place to think about things and regroup. And while this time to escape from the world can be relished, the consequences of this time needs to be thought about. After a long day of classes, practice, and other activities, a shower is the one thing I want to relax for a little bit and unwind. But despite this, the amount of water used is for sure something that needs to be addressed. After days that seem to be particularly stressful, I would say that I sometimes take showers that last up to 15 minutes.

Now while these 15 minutes seem relaxing, the amount of water that I’m using is way too high. It really isn’t necessary for me to take such a long shower, and I can easily survive and properly wash off with a shower with a much shorter duration. For my challenge, I’m going to see how water I can save by taking shorter showers. I will record the amount of time I take for each shower, and see how I progress. At the end, I can estimate just how much water I am saving with just this simple step. In addition to just the wasted water, I need to take into account how much heat is being used to make the water hot. By taking long hot showers, I am wasting even more energy.