My New York Drivers Test

I have been a strong advocate in the classroom to create stricter driver license examinations.  Getting a licence in New York required taking a multiple choice test with 20 questions, a five hour class on driving (it was actually 3 hours) and a five minute driving test.  That may sound like a lot to study for, but the most difficult thing to do is to have the time during your busy day to do it all.  As a college student, I am more concerned about the content of the classes and the exams, but for obtaining a driver license that was not an issue.

I over-studied for the testing components to obtain my license.  The multiple choice was relatively straightforward; I only had to get 16 questions right.  On the other hand, I was more worried about the driving component; making turns properly, stopping at a stop sign, and especially parallel parking. When the test began, I put my left turn blinker on and pulled out of the parking spot I was in.  I drove down the road, made a left turn and pulled up next to the only parked car on the street.  I parallel parked behind the car and then drove on.  I made a three point turn and returned to the lot where we started.  I was yelled at for making the right turn turn too fast.  My instructor had a short temper, that’s for sure.

I passed on my first try!  However, after the test, I thought to myself that was easier than I had previously thought.  I didn’t even drive on a main road with other traffic, I didn’t merge on to an expressway and I did not parallel park in a spot where there are two cars.  How is the state suppose to know whether you can do the aforementioned maneuvers and many others? My father helped me out with the rest, but I can say from experience, many people don’t know what they are doing on the road and that contributes to less safe conditions.

One study pointed out that many Americans who are licensed don’t really know what it means when there is a solid yellow line on one side of the center line or what type of lights to use when driving in the fog. (No passing and use your low beams.)  These were multiple choice questions for the New York exam.

Testing should be done every so often to make sure that drivers are competent.  I would even consider raising the driving age or make driver exams more arduous.

Source: http://abcnews.go.com/Travel/states-worst-best-drivers-test/story?id=10790148#.ULL7V4dX0Uw

One thought on “My New York Drivers Test

1. Driving tests are too easy these days. Prospective drivers should have a driver training during several situations, including night time. Also, stricter requirements are necessary to ensure the safety of the roads.