High Speed Rail in California Underway

After clearing many hurdles, the state of California has allowed the selling of $2.6 billion in bonds for construction of the initial 130-mile segment of the bullet train in the Central Valley. It is the first phase of the planned 800-mile in the state.  The total cost of the project that would eventually connect Northern and Southern California is at least $68 billion.
.
This is a great example of sustainability in the United States.  Train systems are the most efficient in many ways, typically emitting less carbon and using less fuel per passenger than buses.  This project will encourage some people to stop driving, decreasing emissions and congestion on the I-5 corridor (the only interstate connecting Northern and Southern California).  It will speed up people’s commutes and bring more people together.

High Speed Rail in America has struggled for decades, but now we are finally underway. California is yet again taking initiative in the transportation realm and I look forward to the day the first high speed rail line that can be opened in America; one that can be competitive with Europe’s or Japan’s network.

2 thoughts on “High Speed Rail in California Underway

1. I agree with you Andrew. Assuming that this project will be completed in my lifetime I would love to see how this bullet train decreases the traffic volume found in California highways. Also, having experience with very efficient trains to get from province to province in Spain, I am really excited to see how the strides of USA public transport in the coming years will compare to these systems I have been able to experience. This could probably be a new way to efficiently travel across the United States in the next century!

2. South Korea and eastern China now has high speed train. In fact, you can get nearly anywhere in South Korea by train.