Pre-Trip Post

Hey everyone! It’s saturday night and we have three days until we depart! While I finished packing a couple of hours ago, I am now so excited to finally get there. Last year, I was on the Ecuador ASB trip, where we learned about sustainable living and built a botanical garden in the jungle. This was my first time out of the country, for a reason other than vacation, and I learned so much more than I could have imagined. What was interesting about this service experience however was that we were there to learn their way of living, with intentions of bringing these ways to the United States, instead of helping a village in need. Applying for the Haiti trip this year, I knew that I was in for a completely different type of trip, as this is more about helping the people of Haiti who have suffered tremendous losses from the earthquake. I look forward to helping as much as I can, coming away with new perspectives and also new friends. As you all know I have been in contact with Lafayette alumni, Alan Griffith and his wonderful wife, Penny. They have sent me many cards in the mail, which included pictures of the land and people there, as well as a book about Haiti after the earthquake, which I have started to read. I bring them up because they invested much of their time in Haiti prior to the earthquake. I look forward to gaining knowledge of the progress there and sharing incredible stories with the Griffiths, as they have shared their gratitude with us through a generous donation and it will be nice to give back this way. Can’t wait for an awesome week and a half!