With the start of the new semester, I assumed the position of Vice President for Campus Life and Senior Diversity Officer, and thus, became the chair of the Implementation and Assessment Group on Greek Life.  For those who do not know, I have been at Lafayette for over twelve years in various campus life positions.  After serving as dean of students, I took a position last fall in the Division of Finance and Administration.  I thank the committee for the work they completed last year and I look forward to an open, productive relationship with members of the IAGGL and with Greek alumni and students.

As many know, the IAGGL, at the request of the Board of Trustees, concentrated its work last year on the development of assessment benchmarks, or “metrics.”  We will take some time over the next year to review these so that Greek organizations can reasonably work toward the objectives the metrics seek to measure.

We will now begin the important work of implementing the recommendations endorsed last year by the Board of Trustees.  The IAGGL group met on Friday, September 28 and discussed the first set recommendations in the report from the Working Group on Greek Life.  These focused on improving the relationship between the College and the Greek community.  In addition, the Committee engaged in conversation about various reporting mechanisms for the groups to demonstrate achievement of the four broad goals articulated by the Board.  It was agreed that a reporting format utilizing open dialogue would provide the greatest learning opportunity for students and provide the most complete information to the assessment team.

The Committee will continue to meet during the fall semester to review the remaining recommendations from the Working Group Report.  I will keep you updated as we progress.

Annette Diorio, Ed.D.

Chair