Rough Draft Script

Here is my script in writing. I would love more feedback as I move forward with my project!

Dear Papa,
Most letters are sent, but this one I’ll keep. I’m finally back on College Hill starting my Senior year. Some of our family drove out to Metzgar Fields on Friday from Lafayette College, the same drive you’ve done a million times but never got sick of. It was the first home game for the men’s soccer team and your memorial was revealed. If you had it your own way I’m sure you would’ve never allowed this! But trust me it’s perfect. So beautiful, yet simple and humble which reflects you so well. It’s placed in the exact spot where you used to stand. So for every home game the guys now touch the top of the soccer ball before running on the field. It’s pretty cool to watch. I know you want to be in the locker room to give your “Dr. Oaks pre-game speech”, but rest assured that the guys feel your presence on the field. You are still making your mark.
Life at Lafayette is pretty much the same as always. Classes are in full swing, the quad is full of students, and the athletes are working hard. Most importantly our family is doing just fine. (pause) From the Lovemans in Chicago to the Widenhoefers in Sweden and everywhere in between, our family team is staying connected and close. You told everyone to be a part of a team, and of course gave a nickname to anyone you met. That’s why our designated family nickname “Team Oaksie” is so fitting. “Team Oaksie” is strong, but it’s hard sometimes without our captain. Nana is lonely, but she is as funny and gorgeous as ever. I know you worry, but we are taking care of her.
You always managed to be there for all of us. You were one of the busiest people I knew yet you made it to every special moment of your children and grandchildren both big and small. Every soccer game, play, and graduation. Even if you weren’t physically there, you were somehow present. I think I got my worrying from you. I’m always worrying about everyone. I feel like I need to be everywhere at once- to help Mom, Dad, Marin, and Billy. I want to be there for them.
I’ve been going to Oaks Stadium alone to clear my thoughts. I think that’s where I feel your presence the most. I’ve found a happy place among the quietness and vastness of the open fields. Sorry to steal your special spot, because I know it was your happy place too. But I was thinking we could share it! I went on a cloudy, cool Fall day once. With just the wind and the chime of the flags ringing against the pole, I found tranquility. I sat on the bleachers and within two minutes the sun peaked through the clouds. The faintest little rainbow formed. I knew that was you telling me everything’s going to be all right.
As a senior, I need you now more than ever. The weight of the unknown is a lot to carry. I’m trying to figure it all out. I’ve been running. Running from the reality of these daunting uncertainties. I need your direction and words of wisdom. I can almost hear your voice saying… “Go get ‘em” or “Be the best you can be”.
I wish I could pick up the phone and call you. I imagine your phone ringing and you searching everywhere for your cell, but picking up just in time. Saying, “Hi Carly Baby” in your sweet Papa voice. Losing your voice is one of the hardest parts. I miss you. (pause) We all do. (pause) I miss giving you Carly Hugs or CH’s as we used to call them. I miss singing Silent Night in Church onChristmas Eve. I miss walking next to you while you ran- holding your hand and congratulating you on running two miles even though it was more like two blocks. You had a never-letting-go grip. Man, you really held on tight.
I remember… (I haven’t picked a story I want to use yet- still brainstorming for one that works well here, but this is where I will include it)
If you read this, I know what you would say. (pause) I just need a reminder every once in awhile. I try to live everyday like you taught me to but it’s really hard. How did you do it? I’ll have to keep on going with what I’ve learned from you. I’ll try to stop running from my fears, and instead run towards my goals. After you passed away, our family found some relief in words. We found a poem that exemplifies you. It is called The Oak Tree Poem. It’s last stanza reads, “Now I’ve found with thanks to you / I’m stronger than I ever knew.”
So thank you and keep on shining through. This letter will be kept close to my heart. I’ll write again soon, but for now I’ve got to run.
Love your granddaughter,
Carly

Thanks!

2 thoughts on “Rough Draft Script

1. I think it’s awesome — it definitely has a lot of emotion and feels genuine. I have some minor sentence structure things that could help with the flow, but besides that I really, really like it!

“So for every home game the guys now touch the top of the soccer ball before running on the field. It’s pretty cool to watch.”
    The sentence is a little awkward, maybe swap the “now”: “Now for every home game, the guys touch the top …”
    I like the casual tone of “It’s pretty cool to watch.” but also maybe see how it sounds with a more emotional sentiment than “pretty cool”.

“Even if you weren’t physically there, you were somehow present. I think I got my worrying from you.” There needs a pause in here somewhere since it’s a jump from one tone/theme to another.

“Running from the reality of these daunting uncertainties.” I might consider taking out a couple words to make it sound a little more genuine/your voice — “Running from all of my uncertainties.”

2. Carly,

Your final cut came out so amazing. I no b.s. almost cried and I don’t get emotional watching films. Your film is a beautiful tribute to an extraordinary man. I hope you submit this film to festivals. If not, it is a wonderful family heirloom to pass down through the family. Lastly, I think your every bit as extraordinary as your grandfather was. Keep making beautiful films:)

-Scott