Networking Hunger: Food Recovery in Easton, PA

For my capstone project, I plan to investigate the issue of food insecurity in Easton through a short documentary film (I’m thinking 15-30 minutes).  My focus for this project will be on the initiatives to alleviate hunger in the area—meaning that I will have a more solution-based than problem-based product.  I’m choosing to focus on the solutions firstly because I’ve seen documentaries on hunger in the US that are primarily problem-based and I don’t want to remake what’s already been done.  My second motivation for this project stems from my involvement in the Landis program “Meals at Third Street” for the past 4 semesters in which a group of Lafayette students go down to the Third Street Alliance, a transition shelter for women and children that doesn’t provide food, and cook a meal once a week.  Through this experience, I have seen specific instances of how children and adults experience hunger and the affects that having a healthy meal can have.  I’m also involved in the Lafayette Hunger Coalition where I’ve learned about several other programs in the Lehigh Valley area that focus on increasing access to food.  I think that this project is timely in light of the creation of the Easton Public Market to increase food access and have recently spoken to an event coordinator at the Nurture Nature Center to learn more about the issue.  My documentary will involve interviews with program coordinators and those who have received aid through the programs.  I believe that this film will bring awareness and support for these problems in Easton while simultaneously offering ideas and inspiration for other areas (specifically my home town) where hunger initiatives are largely absent.

I could really use some feedback on how to structure this documentary. I don’t have a central character and am trying to find a way to connect the various programs. I’ve got footage from the Easton Hunger Coalition Meeting which tries to get programs to collaborate but I’m not sure if that would work as an opener, a conclusion, etc. Let me know what you think!

4 thoughts on “Networking Hunger: Food Recovery in Easton, PA

1. I love your idea and think it’s a vital topic to explore. I especially like that your film will be solution-based – I think that aspect might be the hardest, but definitely the most worthwhile. If you ever need an extra hand when shooting at Third Street Alliance – I hope to film there as well for a few scenes of my capstone- so if we ever want to overlap, let me know!

2. Thanks for your feedback! I will let you know when I film at Third Street and am definitely up for helping film anything for your project as well!

3. Caroline Ponsi works on a program bagging meals for those in need on the days that the soup kitchen is not open. She’d be a good person to connect with as well. I also don’t see anything wrong with making yourself the main character. Following yourself along your investigation and even comparing it to your experience in your hometown where these programs are absent.

4. Great idea! Also, I am part of Athletes C.A.R.E. and Caroline Ponsi works with Safe Harbor to make meals during the semester! We do a lot of things with the homeless. Our program is teaming up with dining services and LEAP to try and take food from the campus to outsource it to shelters in the area. It’s in the beginning stages of planning but Hayley Maurielo (probably not spelled right) is working on it so you could reach out the her! If we have any other programs like this I’ll definitely let you know.