Lawn carp at Metzgar

I realize as I sit down to write this post that many of my posts have been about Metzgar, because thats typically where I spend most of my “outdoors time.” Anyways, today we were at practice just as the sun was setting and the geese in the area needed a place to settle down. I have never seen so many geese in a flock in the sky at one time. There were at least a hundred and more smaller flocks kept arriving. They were bedding down in the recently harvested field where I have seen deer, and that makes sense to me since it is the perfect place to watch for predators. I did wonder why the geese didn’t choose to gather on one of the athletic fields, such as the rugby field, where their favorite snack of short green grass is in great supply. Maybe there are too many pesticides on the grass, or maybe they have been chased away one too many times (although I’ve known geese to be pretty persistent on other athletic fields). Either way, I’m not complaining that they choose to roost out of the way and to not deposit their feces where I spend a lot of my time.