Smudge Stick: Say No to Spotless Clear Windex Glass

“introducing the World’s First Smudge Stick! Check out the advertisement we created for it. We’re pretty sure the owners of the house we smudged are really happy to see their home smudged. And you can be happy too! Just Smudge those windows you’ve cleaned with Windex and keep them dirty and good looking”

I saw this commercial as I was watching TV this afternoon and found it comical and at the same time disturbing. What this commercial fails to advocate for this that most birds that run into glass windows do not survive. These birds are in a sense advocating for their lives by advertising these “smudge sticks.” I think if groups like The Audubon Society and The National Bird Conservancy saw this they would be utterly disturbed. Humans who are ignorant to the issues of birds constantly flying into windows would view this advertisement as funny, when there is a much bigger issue at hand.

The second video I found when I searched for this commercial on Youtube was even more disturbing. They mock the movement to protect birds who fly into these windows through an advertisement for glass cleaner. If I was the member of a bird conservation group I would be boycotting windex.