The Difference Between Running and Trail Running

I was scrolling around Youtube and the video below popped up in my feed.

I found it pretty interesting because I am an avid distance runner and there is huge differences between road running and trail running. The differences are deeper than just the terrain you cross, but also the amount of pain your body goes through, the visual experience, and the fact that when your trail running the head to head competition aspect is almost lost. Personally, while trail running I definitely have felt the openness and being one with the movement of nature that the narrator talks about in the beginning of the short film. On the other hand I have also felt in a 18 mile trail run race when nature does not agree with you; I literally tripped hard every 6 miles and by the end was covered in bruises and dirt, but oddly enough I was in pain. After the second fall, I just came to the conclusion nature did not want me to run as fast as my body wanted to, so I slowed down and took in the sights because of that decision had a more complete race experience. My greatest memories of the race was not finishing, but the the mountain lake I ran around and the scenic overpass I got to take in after climbing. Furthermore, if you hate running, I would give trail running a try is a completely different and almost enlightening experience.