Fall Break

Tomorrow, I am leaving Lafayette around noon, and heading up to Martha’s Vineyard for the break. This is something I have done every year for as long as I can remember, because it is the time of the year for the annual Martha’s Vineyard Striped Bass and Bluefish Derby, a nearly monthlong event that people come from all over the world to take part in. Thousands of people stay up late and wake up early in the hopes of catching the biggest fish in four different categories, whether it be off of the shore or on a boat.

The Derby also plays an integral role in the scientific community alongside its role as a major sporting goods event for the region. Numbers of each fish caught (striped bass, bonito, false albacore, and bluefish) are reported to biologists, marine scientists, and the general public at large to help determine the health of a species, and whether or not it needs to be regulated more. As a matter of fact, the derby restricted fishermen from catching striped bass for a period because of concerns that the population was being overfished and was in poor health, allowing for striped bass to make a strong showing in the region once more.

I love the derby because it is good fun accompanied with a good purpose. All fish caught are donated to senior living centers around the island so that the meat is never wasted, and portions of the entry fees and bonus days go to island scholarships and other funds. I feel like it is a good example of citizen scientists, because by merely catching fish and weighing them in, you are actually helping determine the health of the species year after year, leading to legislation, fishing practices, and knowledge-gathering.