Protect Nature

After class today, I walked to Lower to grab some lunch, and ended up walking past the circle between Farinon and Pardee. As I was walking towards the street, I noticed some chalk marks on the ground surrounding the flower bed in the middle of the circle.

“PROTECT NATURE”

“DONT CUT THE FLOWER BED”

I thought it was interesting how such a small part of our campus, seemingly planted for aesthetic purposes, had a group of people advocating on its behalf. I would be curious to see what group on campus was responsible for trying to allow the natural growth cycles. Honestly, I did not take sufficient time to stop and see what kind of plantings/flowers were there, but I plan on during the next few days to stop by and see the type of plantings that are there. Why are they cut? Why are students trying to protect them? Is it one of the gardens around campus, similar to the one outside of Acopian that was pointed out to us the first day of class, that is indigenous to the region and aids pollinators? I am curious to look further into the matter, because if you do not take ample time to stop and actually look, you may never realize that there is an issue happening right in front of you.

One thought on “Protect Nature

1. That was a keen observation, Joe! Please inform the rest of the class when you do find out the types of flowers, why they were cut, and who was actually protesting.