Be “Smart”

After I previously posted about my bad habit of not turning the lights off or unplugging my appliances when I leave the room, I started to observe this behavior of mine and try to catch myself in the act.

Unfortunately I noticed myself doing this action more than once even though I have been aware, and for some reason I didn’t stop myself from doing it. When I am leaving my room I always feel like I am in a rush and don’t have time to unplug and turn off everything because i have “more important things” to do. But what I have been realizing is that this bad behavior is actually negatively effecting the environment that we live in, in the long term and I am not doing anything about it.

After thinking about this for a while I found an article that perfectly reflects the solution I had found and talked about in my previous post to decrease the negative impact of this behavior. The article is called “”Smart” Power Strips: Helping to Stop Idle Current Now!” By Collin Dunn. This article talks about the use of power strips and how they are a huge help in conserving energy because they are convenient and have only one switch for all outlets. It also talks about how it uses less energy than a regular outlet would. But thats not all! What is different about this particular power strip is that it is “smart.” This smart power strip adds to the laziness of humans by making this energy conserving behavior even more convenient.

“The Smart Strip monitors power consumption and can sense the difference between when computers and other devices are on or off. Upon figuring this out, it shuts off the power, eliminating the idle current drawn from them.”

This incredible invention allows people to not even need to touch any switch or outlet to turn it off. It recognizes when the appliances that are plugged in become inactive. Then it automatically shuts down. The only thing people need to do is go out and buy one of these. That is the most effort we will need to make to change this behavior because the rest is done for you.

Now when leaving the room or leaving the house I don’t need to worry or feel bad about leaving appliances in the wall or lights on, I would have a power strip and energy saver that will be thinking about this and creating a solution for me. So even though during this passed week I still didn’t see much of a difference in this behavior of mine, all I need to do is purchase this power strip and I will be saving more energy, especially when I am not there.

Smart Powerstrips

Article Source:

http://www.treehugger.com/gadgets/smart-power-strips-helping-to-stop-idle-current-now.html