- Global Rogues and Regional Orders: The Multidimensional Challenge of North Korea and Iran (Oxford University Press, 2016).
Peer-Reviewed Articles and Book Chapters
- “To Escape or Embrace Reactors? The Politics of Nuclear Phase-Out in Germany and South Korea,” forthcoming in The Pacific Review, https://doi.org/10.1080/09512748.2020.1806341.
- “Going Nuclear: The Promises and Perils of Nuclear Energy in China,” Political Science Quarterly, Vol. 135, No. 3, Fall 2020, pp. 439-465.
- “Dueling Hegemony: China’s Belt and Road Initiative and America’s Free and Open Indo-Pacific Strategy,” Journal of Indo-Pacific Affairs, Winter 2019, pp. 14-35.
- “Aligning Alliance and Autonomy: Variation in South Korea’s Policy on North Korea and the Moon Jae-in Presidency,” Journal of Peace and War Studies, March 2019, pp. 65-88.
- “Downsizing Hegemony: Alliance, Domestic Politics, and American Retrenchment in East Asia, 1969–2017,” Asian Security, Vol. 14, No. 3, 2018, pp. 246-262.
- “Domestic Legitimacy Politics and Varieties of Regionalism in East Asia” (with Seo-Hyun Park), Review of International Studies, Vol. 40, No. 3, July 2014 , pp. 583-606.
- “Who Are the Leaders and the Followers? The Rise of China and East Asian Regionalism(s)” (with Seo-Hyun Park), in Louis W. Pauly and Bruce W. Jentleson, eds., Power in a Complex Global System (London and New York: Routledge, 2014), pp. 164-179 [An extended version of this chapter appears in Review of International Studies].
- “Dual Identity and Issue Localization: East Asia in Global Governance,” Global Governance, Vol. 19, No. 4, October-December 2013, pp. 545-565.
- “The Rise of China and Varying Sentiments toward Great Powers in Southeast Asia” (with Seo-Hyun Park), Strategic Studies Quarterly, Vol. 7, No. 2, Summer 2013, pp. 69-92.
- “Democratic Instability: Democratic Consolidation, National Identity and Regional Security Dynamics in East Asia,” Foreign Policy Analysis, Vol. 8, No. 2, April 2012, pp. 191-213.
- “The Changing U.S. Role and the Shifting Regional Order in East Asia,” in Zhiqun Zhu, ed., New Dynamics in East Asian Politics (New York: Continuum International, 2012), pp. 42-63.
- “In the Service of State and Nation: Religion in East Asia” (with Peter J. Katzenstein), in Jack Snyder, ed., Religion and International Relations Theory (New York: Columbia University Press, 2011), pp. 168-199.
- “Anti-Chinese and Anti-Japanese Sentiments in East Asia: The Politics of Opinion, Distrust, and Prejudice in East Asia” (with Seo-Hyun Park), The Chinese Journal of International Politics, Vol. 4, No. 3, Autumn 2011, pp. 265-290 [*reprinted in Sun Xuefeng, Matt Ferchen, and M. Taylor Fravel, eds., China in the Asia-Pacific: A CJIP Reader (Oxford University Press, 2013)].
- “The North Korean Missiles: A Military Threat or a Survival Kit?” (with Jung-Hoon Lee), The Korean Journal of Defense Analysis, Vol. 12, No. 1, Summer 2000, pp. 131-154.
- “The Pentagon Has Officially Canceled Military Exercises with South Korea. Here’s What Comes Next” (with Seo-Hyun Park), Washington Post, June 21, 2018.
- “South Korea Has Reason to Be Skeptical — and Optimistic — about Dialogue with North Korea” (with Seo-Hyun Park), Washington Post, May 16, 2018.
- “North Korea’s Nuclear Test: Déjà Vu on the Peninsula,” The Diplomat, September 2016.
- Review of India, Pakistan, and the Bomb: Debating Nuclear Stability in South Asia, by Sumit Ganguly and S. Paul Kapur (New York: Columbia University Press, 2010), Political Science Quarterly, Vol. 126, No. 2, Summer 2011, pp. 335-336.
- “Containing or Constructing Threats?: The Role of Elite Coalitions in the Missile Defense Debate,” in A Dialogue on the Presidency with a New Generation of Leaders (Washington, D.C.: Center for the Study of the Presidency, 2003), pp. 79-99.