Farewell POW

Due to the impending blizzard, today was the last day of the Pards On Wheels ASB trip.  Early this morning we embarked on our last day of delivering meals to homebound seniors we had gotten used to seeing each day.  Throughout the trip I felt like I gained a better understanding of the value of our service.  While at times the delivery schedule seemed routine, there were meaningful conversations and moments where some of the senior citizens needed help that highlighted the significance of our work.  Not only does this program provide necessary food, but it is a daily check in for many of the people we interacted with.   There were multiple times where I had to make calls because the seniors weren’t feeling well or needed help.  Also the gratitude from the service organization we worked with was very apparent.  The work we did was not easy or comfortable, and there must be volunteers who get up each day to lug the meal carts in the bitter cold.  I was so glad to give these people the break they deserved this week.

The POW ASB trip not only taught me about the different physical and economic issues that face the elderly, but introduced me to an extraordinary group of Lafayette students that I might not have otherwise had the opportunity to meet.  Being a freshman, this was my first experience with the ASB club and hopefully not my last.  Our team leader Matt Ackerman, did such a great job organizing and uniting this group of students who came from many different parts of the Lafayette campus, but had the common interest in learning more about different communities.  As a result we were able to have very insightful conversations and reflections about our social issue while still able to poke fun and make jokes with each other.  Ultimately, I am very thankful for the opportunity to participate in this ASB trip and the people who made the experience worthwhile.