Kim Thomas Malm

Artist statement:

Kimberly Thomas Malm, a 1990 Lafayette graduate, received her MFA from The University of Pennsylvaniain 1995.  Kim works with domestic themes and methods such as sewing and computer generated collage,which allows her to introduce a wide variety of graphic imagery in her richly hued works.  Kim has taught throughout the region including Lafayette College, where she has lectured and taught drawing, painting and 2 dimensional design.

www.dollhousefossils.com

About the auction item:

I began making the series of large interiors at about the same time that I began teaching in what was then considered the new arts building at Lafayette College, the WVAB. I couldn’t help but be affected by the huge, expansive space in which I found myself teaching. With that kinesthetic sense of openness, I started to blend a long time obsession I had with interiors. In particular, neat, pristine photos of interiors meant to entice one into either entering and buying, or both. The paintings themselves are really meditations in scale and color shift, over and over again on one picture plane – one minute acting as a recognizable enticing space, the next fracturing apart into their bare bone, most essential elements of design. It is when this split happens that I am able to really engage myself in the space and the act of painting itself.