Students Learning 1906-1930
James Waddell Tupper taught in the Department of English from 1906 to 1947. In 1906, the Board of Trustees had reported that the philological study of English at Lafayette was being emphasized at the expense of practical writing. Tupper was invited to Lafayette to carry out the Trustee mandate to put into practice the Harvard University method of instruction in freshman composition. The freshman courses become known as “Tup’s English” and focused on more rigorous theme writing.
Click on the image at left to
read a PDF scan of a profile of
Tupper from a 1944 issue of
The Lafayette Alumnus.