Mac Gallagher Shelfie #1

Wild, Antony. The East India Company: Trade and Conquest from 1600. London: HarperCollins, 1999.

I began my shelfie search looking for a book about trade in early modern history, but my searches did not produce many promising results.  I then refined my search focusing specifically on The East India Company, and that is what brought me to this book, The East India Company: Trade and Conquest from 1600 by Antony Wild.  The book gives a complete overview of the establishment of the East India Company, and the eventual trading empire it was able to create.  Wild’s work also delves into the specific daily operations of the business, and how the company was eventually absorbed by the British Crown.  I also found it compelling how the book uses many  pictures and illustrations. They are very similar to the 100 objects we look at in class, and I think they add an extra depth to story of the East India Company.  The book resides in the upper level of the library and is surrounded by other books about the formation of India and British colonization of India.  WP_000999