Wataru Ando Shelfie #1

S__72712194

Hawthorne, Walter. From Africa to Brazil: Culture, Identity, and an Atlantic Slave Trade, 1600-1830. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 2010. Print.

In order to look for my book, I accessed the Skillman Library website and in OneSearch, I looked up the words “slave”, “trade”, and “Africa”. The topic on slave trade between the Africans and the Europeans in South America from the last chapter was very interesting to me, as I did not know that many aristocrats in Africa were supportive of slavery. After the search, I came up with over 1200 books. I then added the year “1600” to the search, because that was the time that Spaniards and the Portuguese grew a larger demand for slavery. This came up with my book From Africa to Brazil: Culture, Identity, and an Atlantic Slave Trade by Walter Hawthorne, which caught my eye because it perfectly fit with what I wanted to look for. This book seems be broken into two main parts. The first part talks mainly about the process on which how and why enslavement occurred in Upper Guinea sent to Brazil. The second part of the book talks about the change and the continuity of each culture due to the slave trade. This book also focuses on lives individual slaves, giving accounts of real slaves according to their records. Many of the adjacent books had the same key words “slavery” or “slave” in their titles, and one of them was a four-volume book with the title The British Transatlantic Slave Trade. This assignment was very fun and helpful, as I had never looked for a book in the Skillman Library before and I learned how to utilize the Skillman Library website.