Being Caribou Movie Review

While watching the movie there was a constant theme of bringing up how they wanted to drill for oil in the caribou’s calving grounds. I think this was an important political statement, but the George Bush figurine was a little too much. By satirizing the moving and President Bush, you completely deter Bush supporters from supporting your cause. If this element had been eliminated it may have been a more effective statement. That being said, no good movie is ever completely unbiased.

The narrators also talk a lot about how they feel like they are intruding on this natural space. They go to great lengths to leave the caribou undisturbed. This causes me to question what does this young couple see humans role in nature as? Do they think people should visit this place? Do they think that no one should ever come here?

I did not believe the people at Hawk Mountain when they said that Golden EaglesĀ could take down entire deer, but this movie proves that wrong. The Golden Eagle wounds the calf, and then presumably goes back to eat him later.

I liked the circular effect of the documentary. It shows you their struggle of reentering society, an adjusting to the noises of city life. You can really feel Leanne’s emotion in her final plea to save the caribou.