Passages of Interest in Nature Wars

“‘I see nothing but road’ Brad replies. Then Brad jumps in the bay and swims three miles to Lonesome Point and back. Says Brown Dog, ‘I didn’t bother asking him if he had seen any fish'” (205). 

I think this is a very common mentality of many Americans, where it becomes less about the journey but more of a focus of achieving a goal, and perhaps some sense of satisfaction by doing so. We lose something by the inability to slow down and just enjoy what is around us.

“Eating crow (boiled), like humble pie of animal innards, may have been distasteful, but eating small birds was a treat, and commonplace” (224).

I find this notion very obvious and quite laughable. I would be horrified to eat a crow or a robin per se, because it is not in the norm of our culture. However, buying packaged meat from the store, such as hamburger, can contain the DNA of over 100 different animals. That fact is so much more repulsive to me and yet this is the daily accepted practice of most Americans on the East Coast.

“Still, feeding wild birds is a form or nature management, although a lot of people who do it do not recognize their hobby as a form of nature manipulation” (237).

I certainly never realized this fact until Sterba so clearly stated it in this sentence. By feeding birds, even though it has low negative consequences, we are still manipulating nature for our own enjoyment and in a way that is unnatural.