“The earth is not a mere fragment of dead history, stratum upon stratum like the leaves of a book, to be studied by geologists and antiquaries chiefly, but living poetry like the leaves of a tree, which precede flowers and fruit, -not a fossil earth, but a living earth; compared with whose great central life all animal and vegetable life is merely parasitic” (Walden 334). 

This is a concrete, explicit statement of a concept that has been implied in the rest of the book. In my opinion, it is one of the more meaningful take-aways from Walden because it is easy to forget about that which lies under grass, trees, and bodies of water and anyone who wishes to understand the environment must also understand and appreciate the dynamism of underground. It also includes an interesting and somewhat aggravating note that animal and vegetable life is “parasitic.” This seems to contrast with much of the rest of the book because Thoreau overwhelmingly describes the plants and animals around him as positive forces. The word “parasitic” implies just the opposite.

“The naming of things is a useful mnemonic device, enabling us to distinguish and utilize and remember what otherwise might remain an undifferentiated sensory blur, but I don’t think names tell us much of character, essence, meaning” (Abbey 50). 

Abbey concisely describes his opinion about a concept with which I have been wrestling for quite some time. After much thinking and reading, this is essentially the conclusion that I have adopted. I’m glad this opinion has Abbey’s endorsement.