New Approach to Conservation

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/06/science/a-shifting-approach-to-saving-endangered-species.html?action=click&contentCollection=science&region=rank&module=package&version=highlights&contentPlacement=2&pgtype=sectionfront&_r=0

I came across the article and found that I had very different reactions to what I was reading. At first, I was frustrated by the government’s ruling to not add another species to the endangered species list. I was then surprised that many environmental agencies actually supported this action by the government. I shifted back to being annoyed as the author wrote that typical species conservation focused just on that one species but not the “larger needs of human society.” I was shocked by that quote, because we are there reason that there even is an extensive endangered species list. I grew more accepting of the article again as it transitioned to a point of looking into cooperation between humans and the ecosystems, including businesses such as farming.

The article continues from there but definitely brings up some interesting points. I recommend that if you have the time you should check this out as well!

One thought on “New Approach to Conservation